[SOLVED] Buzzing sound coming from PSU wont stop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 17, 2021
SO, I have had so many problems building a pc and its just gotten on my nerves but at least theres this forum to help, which I am grateful for.

A little context, I bought an EVGA 750 BQ Psu and it worked for a month or so and started to develop buzzing noises which can only be heard when you go close to the psu. So I replaced this psu with a NZXT C750 made by Seasonic and the buzz just stayed the same even moderately louder. If anyone can help I would be insanely appreciative. I will list my system specs below.

Ryzen 7 3700x
EVGA XC3 Ultra 3070
ROG b550-f
NZXT C750
2x8gb gskill trident

Solution
Thanks for the advice, I cant really use another system since this is my first one but I know the sound isnt on the motherboard. The sound is louder near the psu and the motherboard works perfectly fine.
unless you have a closed PSU shroud or you have removed the PSU from the case, than when installed the PSU would be too close to the motherboard to effectively tell the difference from it or one of the onboard components.
The sound is louder near the psu and the motherboard works perfectly fine. Ill try plugging it into a different outlet though, I hope that might change it.
working fine and making noise can and will occur at the same time depending on the hardware.

Most PSUs have a fan and fans are nowhere near "dead...
Mar 17, 2021
it could be coming from a motherboard onboard circuit or transistor or any other device.

if the sound persists after upgrading the PSU, than it is not the PSU making the sound.
to absolutely verify, try the new PSU in another system.

Thanks for the advice, I cant really use another system since this is my first one but I know the sound isnt on the motherboard. The sound is louder near the psu and the motherboard works perfectly fine. Ill try plugging it into a different outlet though, I hope that might change it.

Mar 17, 2021
it could be coming from a motherboard onboard circuit or transistor or any other device.

if the sound persists after upgrading the PSU, than it is not the PSU making the sound.
to absolutely verify, try the new PSU in another system.

I tried switching the outlet, the buzz got quieter. I have no idea what this is but my friends say its normal to have it. Its very quiet and you can only hear it when you go up close to the psu. It just makes a constant "zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz" and thats it.

Jacozeelie

Respectable
Mar 1, 2019
I know psu's has fans in them. Not suppose to be noisy or buzzing. I have never heard any coil buzzing or noises from a good psu. I got about 20 crappy psu's that all work and not a single buzz or peep from them. Only 80mm fans in psu are loud.
That is in my experience. Noises in psu go to scrap bin

Thanks for the advice, I cant really use another system since this is my first one but I know the sound isnt on the motherboard. The sound is louder near the psu and the motherboard works perfectly fine.
unless you have a closed PSU shroud or you have removed the PSU from the case, than when installed the PSU would be too close to the motherboard to effectively tell the difference from it or one of the onboard components.
The sound is louder near the psu and the motherboard works perfectly fine. Ill try plugging it into a different outlet though, I hope that might change it.
working fine and making noise can and will occur at the same time depending on the hardware.

Most PSUs have a fan and fans are nowhere near "dead quiet" unless they are stopped or actually dead. Depending on the design, some coil while from magnetostriction in the transformer and filtering coils can also be normal.
you would definitely hear the fan spin up when the system was posting, but the NZXT has it's Zero RPM Fan mode when under minimal operating condition.

i also seriously doubt the OP has the same misfortune of the same sounding noticeable coil whine in two different PSUs in a row.
I tried switching the outlet, the buzz got quieter.
if you actually moved the system to access another power outlet this would lead me to believe the issue is more than likely a loose panel, rivet, or screw in the case itself.
moving it would cause the case to settle slightly differently causing the sound to change pitch or volume.

you can try pressing firmly on or holding the case panels and any interior shelves\vents\brackets to see if the sound stops or changes when doing so.

Solution
Mar 17, 2021

you would definitely hear the fan spin up when the system was posting, but the NZXT has it's Zero RPM Fan mode when under minimal operating condition.

i also seriously doubt the OP has the same misfortune of the same sounding noticeable coil whine in two different PSUs in a row.
if you actually moved the system to access another power outlet this would lead me to believe the issue is more than likely a loose panel, rivet, or screw in the case itself.
moving it would cause the case to settle slightly differently causing the sound to change pitch or volume.

you can try pressing firmly on or holding the case panels and any interior shelves\vents\brackets to see if the sound stops or changes when doing so.

Even with the zero fan mode it still makes the sound and the sound itself is coming from the psu. I got all my stuff from micro center and am thinking to go check in their service. Should I do that? All the parts are in their return period too.

Mar 17, 2021
I have tried everything possible that I can, it just seems unfixable. I can't get it through my thick skull what is the issue. Going to micro center to either get them to help me fix it or to RMA the entire system and start over completely.

Status
Not open for further replies.