Question Buzzing sound from headphones, how to fix?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 8, 2020
I've got Sony XM3 and I can hear a buzzing sound from the right ear cup at all times when the noise cancelling is on and the headphones are plugged into the computer with the 3.5mm jack. The sound is quite minimal but it gets extremely annoying over time since it's only coming from one ear cup. The buzzing seems to stop when I plug out my monitor from the power source. I tried turning off all other electronic devices one by one, plugging out the monitor is the only time the buzzing stops. So that seems to be what's causing it. I've tried different headphones and different 3.5mm jacks but the buzzing occurs every time I turn the NC on. The buzzing stops if I touch something metal that is someway connected to the headphones, such as my mic or pc case. It wasn't like this, I never heard the buzzing sound before. There is no buzzing sound if I connect them via bluetooth.
Is there anything I can do to get rid of the buzzing sound? I can not unhear it anymore, even when I'm playing games or watching videos.

Reactions: Slug12345
Mar 8, 2020
This sounds like a grounding issue. Is your system connected to a power strip, directly to the wall socket, or to an UPS?
Everything is connected to a power strip. I tried plugging everything to a different power strip too but that didn't help either. As soon as I plugged in the monitor the buzzing sound started again.

Mar 8, 2020
I actually have 3 monitors if that makes a difference. Everything is firmly attached. Doesn't matter which one of the 3 I plug in, as soon as I plug in one of them the buzzing sound begins. I can't think of anything that could fix this, I've been trying to google the problem but can't find anything that is precisely similar to mine. Do you know why touching a metal that is connected to the pc makes the buzzing stop?

Mar 8, 2020
  • CPU AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
  • GPU Geforce RTX 2080
  • MB Asus Prime X470 Pro
  • 970 Evo plus M.2.
  • PSU is a lot older component, don't even know the model.
  • H100i water cooler
Monitors:
  1. Benq XL2411P with displayport
  2. Benq XL2411 with DVI, connected to displayport via adaptor. (DVI on monitor DP on pc)
  3. Samsung S24C550L (Some old monitor) with HDMI

Status
Not open for further replies.