Bypass Great Firewall of China; Watch Hulu

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrubermonkey

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2008
So I take it Tuan has never heard of a proxy before. Its really simple. In Firefox go to Tools->Options...->Advanced->Network->Settings...->Manual proxy configuration:
Then enter your HTTP Proxy and Port and you are good to go. Google up some proxy lists and you can surf without the need for ads. Or maybe this is just another Tom's advertisement for some service right. Hope they pay well.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
The software ensures you don't end up using a proxy that isn't secure. There's no point trying to run from the chinese censorship just to use a proxy in russia that collects passwords

San Pedro

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
I tried to use hotspot shield on vista 64 here in Japan but couldn't get it to work, for the same reason mentioned in the article, I wanted to watch hulu. Maybe I'll try again.

outacontrolpimp

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2008
[citation][nom]Silluete[/nom]Nice, now just pray no People's Republic of China officer read this and decide to block this app[/citation]

its going to be on torent sites, blocking the site wouldnt help

tuannguyen

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2008
[citation][nom]mrubermonkey[/nom]So I take it Tuan has never heard of a proxy before. Its really simple. In Firefox go to Tools->Options...->Advanced->Network->Settings...->Manual proxy configuration:Then enter your HTTP Proxy and Port and you are good to go. Google up some proxy lists and you can surf without the need for ads. Or maybe this is just another Tom's advertisement for some service right. Hope they pay well.[/citation]

Hi mrubermonkey -

As a matter of fact, I have used proxies many times, and I even wrote the word "proxy" in the story's URL.

I'm happy you know how to setup a proxy. Some others may not have known and may prefer something like this for a quick fix.

You made two big assumptions about me that are way out of line. I've done Linux and Windows network administration for years, and no, AnchorFree didn't pay me a cent for this article. I stumbled onto it today actually.

Not sure why it's so offensive that I share something I found interesting with the community.

/ Tuan

svenolsen

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2008
[citation][nom]mrubermonkey[/nom]So I take it Tuan has never heard of a proxy before. Its really simple. In Firefox go to Tools->Options...->Advanced->Network->Settings...->Manual proxy configuration:Then enter your HTTP Proxy and Port and you are good to go. Google up some proxy lists and you can surf without the need for ads. Or maybe this is just another Tom's advertisement for some service right. Hope they pay well.[/citation]

i may not agree with tuan's mac articles from time to time but you sir are being a douchebag.

dmuir

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2006
But it's not a proxy. It's VPN based setup. Hulu used to work through a proxy, but not any more, otherwise I'd just tunnel through my web host. I've had limited success with Hotspot Shield from Japan. Most of the time, it's unable to provide enough bandwidth to watch videos without pausing every minute or two. Also, there's no Linux version, so that makes it pretty much useless to me.

romans11

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2006
I had to laugh at this. I tried the link, my employer has the website blocked. I tried to Google proxy lists, every site it brought up that I clicked on, my employer blocked. Guess I'm still stuck not being able to check my email or watch videos at work.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]romans11[/nom]I had to laugh at this. I tried the link, my employer has the website blocked. I tried to Google proxy lists, every site it brought up that I clicked on, my employer blocked. Guess I'm still stuck not being able to check my email or watch videos at work.[/citation]

Try checking your internet explorer (or equivalent) if you have a proxy active. Tools - Internet Options - Connections - Lan settings. If your employer uses an isa server, and isn't too skilled in the use of such, you can bypass it simply by turning off stuff in that tab. Also you might try to use the ip instead of the name ( start - run - cmd - nslookup whatever.site.you.need.com )

crystal_tech

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2007
sounds like some people at work have just blocked the dns server from resovling. try doing a whois and just enter the ip number for that website insted of the dns. who know it might work.

LuxZg

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2007
If a corporate network is well managed, there won't be much use because:
- you won't be able to download it
- usb keys are blocked
- you can't install anything since youre not admin

..and so on... But it's still a nice thing for people outside US that can't access some of their sites or get showed to wait in lines and so on. Maybe you won't be able to watch Hulu, but you'll be able to access other content more easily.

I won't use it cos I don't like small ad-based apps all over my PCs .. and besides - I'm admin, so I know how to use proxies, and I have no problems with corporate firewalls :D

San Pedro

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
[citation][nom]ADM-86[/nom]its not working for me at all...anyone having the same problem?[/citation]

If you're on 64bit OS it doesn't work. You have to use work around which you can find using google.

idisarmu

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2008
I had hotspot shield... I used it for sites that were USA only- it's quite nice... but ads piss me off. As a result, I don't use it anymore.

Yijun

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2010
Well, you may want to take a look of the VPN service provided at www.officevpn.net

OfficeVPN can bypass company's or school's proxy/content filter, home's ISP, and secure all your data with 1024 bits SSL encryption. If you are interested, you may request a free trial account and see how it works!

vpning

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2010
I think that VPN services may be free for the user to leave the trap hackers
Difficult to find such good service as http://www.VPNing.com. Of course it is not free

G

HotSpot Shield, like most free VPNs has a 2 GB limit . Also, most proxies do not work from China. There are some good paid VPN services out there. I used http://www.sunvpn.com/, quite happy with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.