Question C States , Cool n Quiet with Ryzen Motherboards doesn't seem to work...

Jul 6, 2020
...or perhaps not as I would have anticipated?

Hi all, I've recently switched to AMD from Intel. Am using an Asus B450E motherboard with a Ryzen 3600.
Having enabled all the power saving options in the Bios, I hoped that like my previous Asus board running an i7 4790, when the CPU was idle, the frequency would lower to 0.8Ghz or similar. I used to run Cool n Quiet on an old AMD system I had, which did similar. However, on this board, the CPU speed never drops below 3.6 no matter what I choose in the BIOS.
Am I missing something obvious coming from a Intel set up?

Jul 6, 2020
Thanks for the reply.

No, it wasn't a fresh install.

No, no manual overclocking. No overclocking at all, I've also disabled the core boost option.

Do you mean Windows' own balanced power plan or the AMD one? I've tried both the Windows and AMD balanced plans, but still the same result.

I'm wondering if I can save my current bios settings (as everything else is set correctly, so I can revert to it at least), and then try the default setting for the board to see what happens.....

Most boards allow you to save half a dozen user profiles in bios.

With a fresh upto date Windows install there is no ryzen balanced plan anymore, just a default Windows one which works perfectly in my experience.

You really should have clean installed coming from Intel to ryzen, there any many eccentricities with the ryzen chipset and there may be remnants of the old Intel chipset drivers that are interfering.

Jul 6, 2020
I did do some particular research in this area prior to imaging to the new system, due to it not being a small job with all the software I have on. It's a purpose build Sound Studio PC , which to reinstall everything would take about 3 days. Trust me, I've done it before :) I came across others who had made the jump successfully without having to reinstall, so I gave it a go. All works perfectly, aside from this matter.

What I may do is actually try a fresh install (v basic) on another SSD just to see if the problem exists in such a scenario also. At least then I can remove that from the equation !

(I tried the system default after saving the Bios profile, but no joy either.)

You really should have clean installed coming from Intel to ryzen, there any many eccentricities with the ryzen chipset and there may be remnants of the old Intel chipset drivers that are interfering.

Jul 6, 2020
I completed a fresh install on another SSD just to test whether the issue is due to me porting another image from an Intel setup. The problem exists on the fresh install also - the CPU won't drop from 3.6Ghz with C states on. Or with it off. Cannot get the CPU to idle at a lower speed at all.