cable ethernet disconnection

Mohamed_145

Prominent
Apr 24, 2017
my wifi works good, but ethernet keeps disconnecting and give me red X when i restart my pc or unplug cable and sometimes it happens on it's own, pls help it's annyoing and the cable is good so the problem definitely in the router but i don't know what is it

Solution
When you get the red x thing that means it has failed at the lowest levels, the hardware has actually gone down. This is different than when you get software issue and messages like limited connection.

There are not a lot of things that can cause this. You could have some rare driver issue for the ethernet port but these chips are not complex so you seldom even find driver updates. The most common cause is a bad ethernet cable. It is the cheapest thing to try to replace. Other than that you have either a bad port in your router or in your PC. Neither of those is actually repairable so you never want to have that problem.

I would buy a new cat5e cable from a reputable vendor (no crappy cheap CCA or flat cables from amazaon).
When you get the red x thing that means it has failed at the lowest levels, the hardware has actually gone down. This is different than when you get software issue and messages like limited connection.

There are not a lot of things that can cause this. You could have some rare driver issue for the ethernet port but these chips are not complex so you seldom even find driver updates. The most common cause is a bad ethernet cable. It is the cheapest thing to try to replace. Other than that you have either a bad port in your router or in your PC. Neither of those is actually repairable so you never want to have that problem.

I would buy a new cat5e cable from a reputable vendor (no crappy cheap CCA or flat cables from amazaon).

Solution
As Herc said, try plugging PC directly into modem bypassing the router (assuming you dont have a combo modem/router).
If it is fine stable then the issue is with router and nothing you can do but buy a different router.

If you have a modem/rotuer combo then you can either exchange it back to your ISP for another piece of crap that hopefully works better, or buy your own equipment.

TRENDING THREADS