[SOLVED] Cable Modem Rebooting Constantly and other Problems

Jan 16, 2020
I have gigabit Suddenlink currently, and have been provided with a DG3270A Cable Modem.
My modem for the past 2~ weeks since about 2 days after it was installed has been rebooting daily averaging about 3-4 times a day, give or take.
The internet is also fluctuating in speeds, sitting at 20mbps (roughly) download through either wifi or ethernet, sometimes jumping back up to proper gigabit speeds (500-700mbps)
Oddly, the upload speed is always consistent at around 40-45 Mbps. I confirmed both of these through constant speed tests (I have confirmed with multiple servers and sites)
I also get occasional internet stutters when gaming, about every few minutes online games will pause for about 1-2 seconds.

The issue has been consistent for many many months despite me deciding to buy from Suddenlink again. At my old apartment, the same problem was occurring, but I do not remember if the internet speeds and stuttering were still an issue(i think that was a recent issue). I temporarily moved where the internet was not mine(they had Suddenlink and it worked fine. even while I was there). I moved to a new place, and I then changed to AT&T which worked perfectly fine, there were NO issues whatsoever, except the internet was atrociously slow, and I changed back to Suddenlink soon after. We now have a completely different modem then before, the issue persists nonetheless. Despite being in a completely new home with a new modem and installation the issue continued.

It is connected to a Roku TV, a few smartphones and my Computer through ethernet. Everything except my computer is on the wireless connection,
I spend most of my time using the internet for recreational purposes, such as gaming and youtube. There are extended periods of time in which only one device will be used and the router will still reboot.

I have tried: Getting a new router, switching cable cords, switching wall cable ports, changing ethernet, rebooting router, letting router rest, I have tried turning all of my devices off and monitoring the router to see if it would still reboot (it would) I have tried completely changing locations with different routers (no change) amongst a few others things I have done that I cannot remember on the spot. I am soon considering if I can switch IP's and see if that fixes the problem. I cannot update the firmware as it is a cable modem
I have tried nearly everything that is within my own personal capabilities, though I am not very technically informed in networking so I am extremely limited on what the problem might be.

The only thing I can consider that might be the problem is that my computer might be the issue at hand, as I've done questionable things on it and there's literally nothing else I can think of that might be the problem. I have no way of proving this theory but it's the only thing I can even think of, I don't know why it would be my computer, it's just everything else doesn't make sense as me moving and the problems persisting makes no sense to me personally, the only things that have stayed the same is I still have the same computer and I still have Suddenlink.

I'd be happy to provide the specific router details necessary if it helps, I would just really like to get them solved soon as it's been a persistent problem for longer than I can remember.

Solution
Figured out the problem. I ended up talking to Suddenlink and having to bring a tech in but a day before the came I managed to figure out the problem had been the wall outlet causing issues. I switched my modem to a power where I plug the rest of everything and the issue has seemed to fix itself. How ironic, such a simple fix.
Jan 16, 2020
Figured out the problem. I ended up talking to Suddenlink and having to bring a tech in but a day before the came I managed to figure out the problem had been the wall outlet causing issues. I switched my modem to a power where I plug the rest of everything and the issue has seemed to fix itself. How ironic, such a simple fix.

Solution
Apr 22, 2021

I am having similar issues with router restarting but only when temps outside get above 75 & sunny. If the temps outside are below 75 & it is cloudy I don't have any issues. I guess I should try moving the router so it is plugged into different electrical outlet. I believe Suddenlink has equipment on a nearby pole that is faulty because this issue only happens when temp get hot outside.