Question "Cable not connected!"

Jun 10, 2019
Okay I'll provide further details on my system regards motherboard and display later.

I have:

• AMD FX 8350 Black Edition CPU@4Ghz
  • 32GB of G Skill Trident X DDR3 RAM @ 2.4Ghz
  • Nvidia GTX1060 Graphics Card
  • 750 watt PSU

In short I upgraded from an AMD Radeon HD 6870 to a Nvidia GTX 1060 recently, and I have one monitor in the DVI port and I plugged another in an HDMI port.

The PC recognises the (HDMI) monitor as if it's plugged in and recognises and displays the DVI monitor completely. However the HDMI monitor is blank and throws up "Cable not connected!"

I have tried:

• reinstalling drivers and software
  • unplugging and repluging the HDMI
  • replacing the HDMI with a new cable
  • Checking both monitor's HDMI ports
  • Checking both of the card's HDMI ports
  • unplugging and reinserting the graphics card
  • resetting BIOS and CMOS

I don't feel it's a power supply thing because my old graphics card ate almost twice the wattage.

I'm not sure if somehow the old AMD drivers are interfering or if because I used to use DVI for my duel monitor set-up somehow the computer is stuck on that (I don't know how). I haven't tried using a DVI adapter either. The PCI Express slot seems to still run my old card.

I do feel it's odd that DVI works perfectly but the HDMI ports don't display yet the PC recognises the monitors and the fact they're plugged in.

It's frustrating because I edited and use after effects and thought a 1060 would be a good buget upgrade. But only having one monitor is a bit of a nightmare.

I am wondering if anyone has come across this before?