Question Cable touching "front" of GPU ok?

HWright001

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2011
I have an MSI GTX 1650 Super (link) and my USB 3.0 case cable and connector are right by the "front" of the GPU thanks to my motherboard and small-ish case. The cable does touch the card in the "front" where the jagged kinda part is located in the pictures but I don't think it is directly touching the heatsink or anything. I'm wondering if this is ok? The cable does seem pretty thick but I'm asking if it could be damaged over time by heat dissipating from the GPU? Is heat pushed out toward the front of the card or more toward the back and sides? The case's front fan is pretty close so I'm thinking the USB cable will be cooled with that air. Thoughts?

Best screenshot I could get of the card:
H1PCg9S.jpg

Last edited:

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Assuming you mean plastic shroud the cable is touching, there's no need to worry from that or any warm air being dissipated closely to the cable.

Open air coolers, unlike blower designs, dump air from all sides pretty much. Wherever air escapes from fans pushing air in.
open-air.png

Not a thing to worry about. Even with a more power hungry card, it still wouldn't be of concern.

HWright001

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2011
Assuming you mean plastic shroud the cable is touching, there's no need to worry from that or any warm air being dissipated closely to the cable.

Open air coolers, unlike blower designs, dump air from all sides pretty much. Wherever air escapes from fans pushing air in.
open-air.png

Not a thing to worry about. Even with a more power hungry card, it still wouldn't be of concern.

Please excuse my ignorance, but would my card be considered an open air cooler or blower design? The pic you posted is exactly what I'm worried about considering it shows hot air escaping toward the front.

My cable is brushing up against the front of the GPU where those jagged plastic edges are located in the picture I posted just for reference. Thanks.

Last edited: