Cables connected to GPU

Mageban3

Reputable
Jan 21, 2016
Not sure if this is mainly a PSU question or a GPU question, its kinda both so ill just put it here. I use to have a small case where the GPU barely fit inside of it and had awful airflow, which i have fixed recently, but I have a PowerColor Red Devil RX 580 8g. I use a Seasonic Focus Gold 750w Power Supply.

In a discord community, i asked someone who was selling a R9 290, because it was a small cooler on the card and it fit better into my case. The performance wise wasn't that much worse than the RX 580, but the price difference was there so he threw in a few things to make it up.

Now I have seen the warnings that the GPU manufacturers have put into the boxes to use 2 different cables when plugging into the GPU but i have also read on a few different sites, this one included that it should be fine to use one cable, which i have done for 7 months since i built this computer, I have used one cable to run my RX 580. After he sent me the card, which he sent first to let me test the card and make sure it worked. I got into a game, was playing either WoW or LoL. A few hours into gaming, the computer shut down, so i turned it back on. Never did that since I built it. Finished my game and went to bed, the next weekend, it did it again, and was only doing it during gaming sessions. I unseated the GPU and reseated it just making sure it was all the way in and everything. It kept doing it, so i plugged my old RX 580 back in and haven't had the same issue.

The guy says its my PSU but i have seen really good ratings on this PSU, so my main question would be, would the problem be because i was using one cable to run the R9 290? Maybe it has a higher power draw than the RX 580? Anyone might have an idea?

If you don't have all power leads connected, GPU has to draw the rest of power thru PCIe port which may not supply enough (limit is up to 75W) so it's really not advisable to run them like that. It can damage the card as well as MB. Might run at lighter loads but heavy tasks may pose a problem.

nico.k

Prominent
Jan 10, 2018

to clarify a bit: did you plug in only one of the 2 PCIe connectors on the GPU or did you plug in both connectors from the same cable?