Question Cables connected to intergrated graphics and the GPU

CrispyBytes

Reputable
Aug 17, 2019
Hi,
I am currently having a problem with a GeForce 1060 which keeps becoming undetectable, causing the family member's PC to switch to the integrated graphics on a Gigabyte motherboard.

It seems that this is a common problem, and I am currently slowly working through a number of possible solutions.

In the meantime, when the PC switches to the integrated card, I have been VNCing to the PC to manage the shutdown (allowing me to save and do anything else, before a graceful shutdown).

Having grown a bit tired of that, I have now run a d-sub cable from the integrated graphics to the monitor (which also has HDMI and DVI cables attached).

Unfortunately that means that I now get the message at start-up, which includes the following

"This computer has an add-in graphics card. but the monitor is plugged into the integrated video connector"

The workaround for now is to leave the d-sub cable unplugged from the PC, and only plug it in when needed.

However, I just wonder if there is a way to have cables plugged into both the integrated graphics and the GPU, at the same time.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Lutfij

Titan
When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs(in this case the system that's exhibiting the issue). Please include/list your specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:

With the discrete GPU out of the system, does the system have any issues powering up and shutting down? How old is the PSU? You might want to use DDU to remove the drivers for your GPU and reinstall the drivers with the latest from Nvidia's support site. Manually install the drivers in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.