[SOLVED] Cables

royaldeadman

Prominent
Jun 26, 2019
I'm really concerned about know what cables to use and which way to properly go about this. I am doing color grading and want to make sure I'm getting the best possible resolution and connection that I possibly can with the hardware that I have to work with. If you know your cables and brands, please send some links to what it is I should get.

I have a Nvidia Geforce 1070 graphics card and am trying to figure out what method I should go about connection my LG ultrawide monitors that both have only HDMI outputs on them. Where this gets pretty tricky and confusing is I watched a video and a guy said DVI is pretty powerful stuff and then I started searching and found adapters. So could I do like "HDMI to DVI" for one and then like HDMI to display port for the 2nd? 8k or 4k cables? What brands?

Solution
High Definition Multimedia Interface. Created by Sony if I recall correctly for the home market.

1.0 was intended for early 720p and 1080p televisions and home theatre equipment. Quickly discovered it didn't meet the total demand of everything that was about to be produced.
1.1, 1.2, 1.3, and 1.4 basically just added more bandwidth as they went along,. Support for higher refresh rates, and higher resolutions, and other compatibility features.
HDMI 2.0 was created as the standard for 4K displays, since 1.4 was only capable of 4K at 30hz. 2.0 can do 60hz.
HDMI 2.1 is the latest standard for 8K 60hz, and 4K at 120hz to support the latest consoles and graphics cards.

Display Port is an 'open source' competing standard. Usually slightly...

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Those are all digital, picture quality should be the same between all of them.

Cable brand is irrelevant as long as it meets the standard it is trying to achieve.

"8K" cables would certainly offer you some future proofing, but not necessary if you are only intending to run 3440x1440 at 60hz, if they are 2560x1080p, then cheap HDMI 2.0 cables will suffice.

Your GPU can do HDMI 2.0 as well, though the panels are probably HDMI 1.4 or 1.3 if lower resolution or older (given they have DVI ports, probably older)

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
High Definition Multimedia Interface. Created by Sony if I recall correctly for the home market.

1.0 was intended for early 720p and 1080p televisions and home theatre equipment. Quickly discovered it didn't meet the total demand of everything that was about to be produced.
1.1, 1.2, 1.3, and 1.4 basically just added more bandwidth as they went along,. Support for higher refresh rates, and higher resolutions, and other compatibility features.
HDMI 2.0 was created as the standard for 4K displays, since 1.4 was only capable of 4K at 30hz. 2.0 can do 60hz.
HDMI 2.1 is the latest standard for 8K 60hz, and 4K at 120hz to support the latest consoles and graphics cards.

Display Port is an 'open source' competing standard. Usually slightly ahead of HDMI in terms of capabilities, but same basic concepts.

Both are essentially a very fast data bus to push the data necessary for TVs and Monitors to reproduce colors on a per pixel basis.

We can get into the great details of Chroma sub-sampling and HDR content, but I suspect that won't matter to you.

You are limited by your GPU to HDMI 2.0 and Display Port 1.4, so that is good as that is going to get. Cheap Amazon basics HDMI 2.0 cables is all you should need. Display Port to HDMI adapter cables work fine, digital to digital, mostly a form factor change, the protocols are very similar since they have the same goals in mind.

Solution

royaldeadman

Prominent
Jun 26, 2019
Thanks for the info. This is just to get me by for now but I'm slowly building a much better pc not that this one isn't good but now that I disovered color grading I'm learning just what really is important now. Thanks for your help. Amazon basics it probably is.