Cadillac CUE: Why a Touch Screen is Not Always a Good Idea

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Touchscreen aside. I just hate how manufactures feel the need to integrate car functions into the stereo and for that matter place stereo control buttons elsewhere in the car.

Once they do that you are stuck with that blasted radio. If you want to upgrade the garbage stereos they put in cars with a good aftermarket system then you lose functionality in your car and/or have useless buttons about the car. Whenever looking at a car now I have to make sure they didn't pull any BS like this. So far I've been able to avoid this with Ford. Hopefully they keep it up.

What is even worse are these integrated systems which rely on software updates to keep working. Are you supposed to just junk this Cadillac in a few years when it can no longer connect to modern devices or get map updates?

invlem

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008
Multi-touch is great and all, but if you live in the cold white north like I do, a multi-touch screen (and as a result capacitive touch) is useless when you are wearing gloves. I know resistive touch is older technology, but older doesn't necessarily mean worse in all applications...

Multi-touch screen just sounds like an accident waiting to happen, I can't imagine someone trying to pinch-zoom and rotate their map and still look at the road at the same time. Not to mention a 2 second lag to see if what you just moved actually went they way you want it.

I have a touch screen in my car, but the important controls (heat, defrost, etc, etc) are still physical buttons and I don't ever want to have to navigate a menu to control features like that. Those are controls I can reach for without having to avert my view, they're physical buttons, they never change location and I always know where they're going to be... For driving a vehicle those items are extremely important.

olaf

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2011
And this is why the American auto industry is struggling :) Buy European or Asian :)

PS: someone was complaining about no V8 engine in a car WTF DO YOU NEED A V8 FOR IN A CAR ? that most likely will only take you to and from work, if you have about 80+ HP in a car that is around 1 Tonnes its enough, it has enough power to get you out of shit if you are retarded and do something stupid in traffic .... Try a car that takes less then 10liters / 100Km in the city for a change....

cinergy

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
You are comparing that horrible thing to BMW? U mad bro? Closer comparison would be Mazda or Hyundai. But even those are vastly superior against that beloved patriot thing.

madjimms

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2011
[citation][nom]olaf[/nom]And this is why the American auto industry is struggling Buy European or Asian PS: someone was complaining about no V8 engine in a car WTF DO YOU NEED A V8 FOR IN A CAR ? that most likely will only take you to and from work, if you have about 80+ HP in a car that is around 1 Tonnes its enough, it has enough power to get you out of shit if you are retarded and do something stupid in traffic .... Try a car that takes less then 10liters / 100Km in the city for a change....[/citation]
I like the way you think! :)

greenmachineiijh

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2005
Ever since GM bought Cadillac (or any number of good car companies they snatched up in the last decade), the brand has become junk. The classic Cadillac has become just another vehicle in their line-up. Sorry but that is the truth...

averoth

Honorable
Feb 28, 2012
[citation][nom]greenmachineiijh[/nom]Ever since GM bought Cadillac (or any number of good car companies they snatched up in the last decade), the brand has become junk. The classic Cadillac has become just another vehicle in their line-up. Sorry but that is the truth...[/citation]

You are aware GM bought Cadillac in the early 1900s right? So you are telling me GM has been f-ing up the brand since 1910??

tntom

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2001
[citation][nom]olaf[/nom]And this is why the American auto industry is struggling Buy European or Asian PS: someone was complaining about no V8 engine in a car WTF DO YOU NEED A V8 FOR IN A CAR ? that most likely will only take you to and from work, if you have about 80+ HP in a car that is around 1 Tonnes its enough, it has enough power to get you out of shit if you are retarded and do something stupid in traffic .... Try a car that takes less then 10liters / 100Km in the city for a change....[/citation]

Just buy a Tesla! Faster than a BMW M5 series and praised for having the best functioning digital control and display system in the entire industry. It is American made if that is important to anyone as well.

robochump

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
ATS is a great car and like the BMW iDrive, it will take time to fine tune the system for the average consumer. Though in this day and age, sooner = better!

robochump

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
[citation][nom]tntom[/nom]Just buy a Tesla! Faster than a BMW M5 series and praised for having the best functioning digital control and display system in the entire industry. It is American made if that is important to anyone as well.[/citation]

Not everyone has $65-85K to burn...heh. But Tesla Model S is a great car too!

robochump

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
Huh, looking at these comments I just realized there are a few anti-US car and Apple haters. Go figure.

[citation][nom]averoth[/nom]You are aware GM bought Cadillac in the early 1900s right? So you are telling me GM has been f-ing up the brand since 1910??[/citation]

Just another trolling idiot...heh.

soo-nah-mee

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
[citation][nom]Madjimms[/nom]Stop buying shitty domestic luxury vehicles....[/citation]This is so sad but so true. There so many cars from Acura, Lexus, Infinity, BMW, M-B, and Audi that blow this blow either of these out of the water. I can understand buying domestic for the sake of buying domestic (American), but in this class there is no room for overpriced GM garbage.

alextheblue

Distinguished
[citation][nom]Madjimms[/nom]Stop buying shitty domestic luxury vehicles....[/citation]
The ATS and CTS are pretty nice cars, especially their higher-performance trims. The CTS-V in particular kicks butt, even on punishing tracks like the Nurburgring. When it was released it held the title for fastest production sedan on that track. Are they worth the money? Well... are any luxury cars? I've never really thought so, myself. But I don't get why Skate is ranting against the new Cadillacs and pining for older Cadillacs that floated on the road and couldn't cut a corner if your life depended on it. I hope he's planning on buying something tame like a Lexus. [citation][nom]velocityg4[/nom]Touchscreen aside. I just hate how manufactures feel the need to integrate car functions into the stereo and for that matter place stereo control buttons elsewhere in the car. Once they do that you are stuck with that blasted radio. If you want to upgrade the garbage stereos they put in cars with a good aftermarket system then you lose functionality in your car and/or have useless buttons about the car. Whenever looking at a car now I have to make sure they didn't pull any BS like this. So far I've been able to avoid this with Ford. Hopefully they keep it up.What is even worse are these integrated systems which rely on software updates to keep working. Are you supposed to just junk this Cadillac in a few years when it can no longer connect to modern devices or get map updates?[/citation]Well, I agree with you but they've been doing this for YEARS. There have been ways around it, of course - factory stereo relocation, adapter harnesses, etc.

But more to the point... ever heard of Ford MyTouch? Yeah, sorry, you're in the same boat now pal. It's kind of like CUE, only so much worse. I have personally seen the controls lock up, requiring a restart. The newest revisions of MyTouch are more stable, but are still widely hated, more so than CUE or any other - even first-gen iDrive. But even some of the imports use similar systems with all the baggage and problems a touchscreen interface brings. I'm not really sure why ol' Wolfy has it in so bad for CUE and Caddy specifically.

G

This article is rife with post-rationalization nonsense born either out of ignorance or, perhaps, deception motivated by a Luddite's bias. I'll assume it's the former.

"...moving your audio output, for example, from a USB stick to a satellite radio station requires you to move to the home screen via a touch-sensitive button on the side of the dash, pressing the audio icon..."
Nonsense. There is zero need to touch the home button 90% of the time since right there at the top of the CUE screen is an icon to switch directly to the audio application. That replaces the first two steps which are only necessary if you don't already have the audio application showing.

"then the satellite radio icon, then the browse icon, and then slide a scroll bar to the station you are looking."
OR select the satellite radio icon and press the < or > on screen buttons to browse through stations like every other in car XM receiver,
OR press on screen buttons for one of the favorite XM stations you previously saved,
OR press the *physical* up or down buttons on the steering wheel to browse one of the favorite XM stations you previously saved,
OR press a *physical* button on the steering wheel to select XM and browse through stations right there in the primary field of view - the instrument cluster.
OR skip ALL of the above and press a *physical* button on the steering wheel and say which station you would like to tune to.

None of those take anywhere close to "20 to 30 seconds". Oh, and that last one is exactly ONE step and takes about 5 to 7 seconds.

"Moving from one radio station to another requires the driver passenger to always first move the hand toward the screen so that the proximity sensor can initiate the display of respective icons."
Nonsense. Last I checked other cars don't have a telepathic interface. You simply must to move your hand to the controls you would like to... control. Additionally, it is simply not true that you need to use the on screen controls. There are *physical* controls right there on the steering wheel. Imagine that. You don't even have to take your hand off the wheel. Crazy enough, steering wheel controls like this are not even unique to CUE. I'm amazed to discover that cars have had this for more than a decade!

It certainly is true that there is some lag in a few areas. However, if what you're focused on is, oh I don't know, driving, instead of playing with the obviously interesting new capabilities provided by CUE, then it mostly just fades into the background doing what's needed when required.

What I see is an author with a pre-conceived narrative about touch screens in cars who then proceeds to identify everything that appears to confirm that narrative and ignore everything that doesn't. The facts are that CUE does what it does well and, in most cases, there is a low-distraction way to interact with it. Among those facts is that there actually *is* room for improvement. Thankfully Cadillac also recognized that and designed it to be updated with improvements and new capabilities.

G

I have always wanted to own a Cadillac. I look at the Cadillac brand as the absolute pinnacle of what the General Motors company is able to manufacture. This is my third vehicle I have leased in the last 5 years, and I have continued to stay with the brand because I find their vehicles to provide that signature "ride" and luxury that one would expect.

In November of last year, as my 2010 SRX lease was about to expire, I already had my mind set on leasing a 2013 vehicle. I had done my research, and the thing I was more excited about than anything else was this new, revolutionary tech product called CUE. Being a huge gadget freak who needs to be the first to own everything new in tech, I wanted the new SRX solely for that CUE technology. In fact, when I went to the dealership and said I was interested in the 2013 SRX, the dealer talked endlessly about how fantastic the CUE system was. No doubt, dealers had been properly trained to make CUE the main focal point when trying to sell these vehicles.

I couldn't believe how fast my level of excitement sank as I plugged in my iPod and found that every time I selected a favorite song, it played another. The way CUE handled playlists was atrocious.

Then, I was amazed to discover that upon trying to make a phone call, shortly after entering the vehicle, that I kept getting "the device is still attempting to initialize" response from the CUE system.

Of course, now all of us know that the biggest problems the CUE system faces are all caused by some engineer's bright idea that none of the information from your phone or iPod should be permanently stored in its database. Every time you enter and leave the vehicle, the CUE system has to reindex itself and re-upload the same information over and over again. This is why you can't make a phone call in the first 5-10 minutes of your drive. This is why if you have an iPod with thousands upon thousands of songs, it can never upload it all fast enough for you to be able to play the song you want.

Who looked at this kind of functionality and thought it was workable? Even worse, how the hell did Cadillac green light these systems to be installed in their vehicles?

Before I get to the meat of this story, I have to give credit to the CUE team. Not only have reps participated on this forum, but I have their direct phone number and have been invited to call them anytime that I have concerns.

The problem is, as much assurance as we have received that they are looking to fix these issues, I don't think there has been a clear roadmap of what is going to be fixed in the update due this March (which was originally supposed to be due in January). If you look at the latest press release that GM has issued, you may think that a major fix is on the way -- and you would be right. But exactly what is being fixed? I see nothing about iPod incompatibility nor the fact that you can't make a phone call as soon as you get into the vehicle. I talk to a CUE rep on the phone and I am told that perhaps these problems can't be fixed without the addition of a hard drive, and another CUE rep talks about flash storage capability. In other words, the stories change pending on who you approach at CUE.

Still, I give the CUE team a huge amount of kudos. At least they are trying. I can't seem to say the same for GM Executives....

I decided to write a letter -- an actual typewritten letter that you put a stamp on -- to Daniel Akerson (Chief Executive Officer) and Robert Ferguson (GM VP of Cadillac). I questioned how the CUE system, with all its bugs, was ever approved for placement in their company's flagship line of vehicles. Not an unfair question to ask, given the fact that people who buy a Cadillac expect the very best from the brand. You just don't throw in some cool-looking dashboard entertainment system without making certain that people who pay good money for a product have to spend their initial months of ownership coming to a forum like this and complaining about how it doesn't work.

And you know what? I wasn't expecting that my letter would actually be read by Mr. Akerson or Mr. Ferguson. But I did expect that I would get some sort of professional, concerned response from the team that stands behind the Cadillac brand.

Well, the response did come in the form of a phone call. I hate to sit here and insult the people that are hired to deal with consumer complaints at Cadillac, but I felt as if I was dealing with someone who had no right to be in that position. The individual that called me seemed to be the kind of person I would talk to if I were calling the complaint line at my local Target store. I am certain the woman I spoke with was nice, but it was very apparent to me that she was uninformed, and was simply someone who was working in a call center so far beneath the Executive level.

After pouring out my heart in a letter about being unhappy with the CUE system and that Cadillac should be ashamed for putting it in their flagship brand, the response I got was, "There is nothing we can do for you." When I asked if my complaint had even reached the Executive level, the response was something like, "Well, your letter did reach the Executive offices." Really? And they had someone like you contact me to say "There is nothing we can do for you?"

Actually, after repeatedly voicing my disgust for the response, I was given some sort of compensation on service. It was a nice gesture that I would not have gotten without the objections I raised, but I am afraid the entire experience has left me somewhat "cold."

Listen, there may be some of you who think I am making too much of this in light of the fact that the CUE team is trying.

My continued frustration is that the answers to exactly what has been fixed and what has not, is still not clear. Now three months into the ownership of my SRX, I still can't make a phone call and I don't even use my iPod, because I can't.

Listen.....perhaps some of you can relate to what I am about to say....

One of the places I find the most solitude is in my Cadillac. As I drive to and from work, I immensely enjoy the ride beneath me. It is my time to relax, enjoy the drive, make a phone call or two, and enjoy the large collection of music I own on the vehicle's sound system. The most pleasurable part of my day is often the time I spend in my SRX.

But you know what? I can't listen to the music I want because the CUE system can't properly play music from iPods with large libraries. I can't make a business call without having to wait 5-10 minutes for the vehicle to initialize. This is not the kind of problems that customers who pay a premium for a vehicle like this should have to deal with. Furthermore, I would hope for more direct answers from the CUE team as to whether these problems will definitely be fixed. Lastly, the one thing you don't want to hear when you bring the complaint all the way to the top of the GM Executive chain is, "There is nothing we can do for you."

Spencer57

Honorable
Mar 10, 2013
Got in wifes 2013 STX lease. A big mistake, but had no choice. Touch responce is unreliable. Radio either drifts or tone changes on it's own. Seek / scan function is too touchy. It's certainly an unsafe distraction on top of it all. At least give customers a choice. What use to take one push of a button or twist of a nob now takes several unreliable steps, or worse yey, you just can't do! Would buy a '13 SRX as a keeper due to the larger 3.6 engine, yet the worthless radio is enough to nix that plan.

ATS fan

Honorable
Mar 18, 2013
I have just purchased the ATS and love the CUE system. I don't have any of the delays the article talks about, I think the touch screen is very intuitive, and if you don't want to use the screen simply use the voice commands. It certainly isn't an iPad (by the way, Cadillac gave me a free iPad with the purchase of my vehicle), but it is nowhere near as bad as this article suggests.

Status
Not open for further replies.