[SOLVED] Calamity: Boot but no display or sound

Reddington01

Prominent
Mar 29, 2021
So I built my rig about 5 years back, it's pretty old now and much to my shame I did not have the time to upgrade over the years.

CPU: i5-4690k
MOBO: Gigabyte h97n-wifi
GPU: MSI Nvidia gtx 970
RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro Series (only 1 ram slot on my motherboard works, so x1 4gb ram)

As you can see it is indeed a pretty old/outdated setup, but for my purposes it was working more or less fine for me until yesterday.

I was playing a relatively old game Empire TW, not too graphics intensive, have played it periodically over the years without issue.

All of a sudden everything went black during a battle and my monitor's light started blinking as though it was getting nothing from my PC to display. At the same time my sound went dead completely, nothing from the speakers at all.

I assumed something had shorted. Checked my PC, it was still on and running as normal as far as I could tell. Checked my graphics card, lights still on and fans still functioning (though in my amateur opinion it or my CPU is the cause of this), just nothing at all on display.

Monitor still seems functional, blinking light. Can't pull up a menu of any kind though. I have restarted my PC a bunch of times, still boots, just nothing to my monitor.

I will test it with a different monitor just in case but I think the issue lies elsewhere. Any advice? Thanks.

Solution
Yeah, I thought as much. MB makes most sense to me but I'm no expert. It boots but no display, I didn't think it'd do that if the cpu was dead. I'll buy a new one and maybe have a repair shop handle the assembly, means more money than if I did it myself but I'm thinking I might as well.

Thanks
You are probably correct

the mobo is a very likely suspect, cpu failure is VERY rare

Reddington01

Prominent
Mar 29, 2021
Yeah, I thought as much. MB makes most sense to me but I'm no expert. It boots but no display, I didn't think it'd do that if the cpu was dead. I'll buy a new one and maybe have a repair shop handle the assembly, means more money than if I did it myself but I'm thinking I might as well.

Thanks

Thanks
You are probably correct

the mobo is a very likely suspect, cpu failure is VERY rare

Reactions: Reddington01
Solution