Question Calculating IP address for serial connnections ?

Apr 17, 2022
i have been provided with the ip range of 10.111.0.0/24 and I've been tasked to create 5 subnets for that network. but they wanted ip range starting from the second highest available subnets in descending order. i kinda lost on wat to do. any help would be appreciated.

Almost surely a exam question. In real world nobody is going to chop up /24 networks that are using private IP address blocks it is easier to just use other /24 blocks int the private range.

When it comes to public IP, these are so valuable that nobody is responsible for setting them up is going to come to this form and ask a basic question.

These type of questions are important for you to figure out how to get the answer. It is not the actual answer that is important but the method to find it. I mean if everything could be just searched on google why would they need to pay someone.

So if you have some more detailed question maybe explain what you have done and what part you do not understand.

Apr 17, 2022
ok so this is not a exam question.

i was lost cause i am new to networking

what i have found was, the maximum subnet was 65536 and the number of host in each subnet is 256 i was just confused how can i find the second highest subnet

You are not correct with either of your numbers look more closely.

In addition the question is completely invalid if it is really going to be used on serial connections. Again in real world you do not waste IP addresses so they would use the very minimum on serial connections which are almost always point to point. Many times they run them with a feature called "ipunnumbered" so they don't use any extra at all.