Call of duty MW2 and MW3 both running slow

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
G

Guys listen to this - I have a Asus G73JH laptop Core i7 - 720M 1.6GHz 500GB ( 7200RPM ) 6144MB ram ATI HD5870 1024MB and all of the Call of Duty games, MW 1, 2, 3 and Black Ops are really working like a nightmare. I get like 30-40 FPS and this is really awful. I play online, and it is simply a matter of accident to aim and shoot anyone. It is just not smooth, I had a way weaker laptop before and I was getting better performance. I tried almost everything - various gpu drivers, updated bios and vbios and it is still bad even on 800x600. The best thing is that all other games are working like a charm, all parts of Assassin's Creed, I also played Mass Effect 2 and even bought Battlefield 3, which really runs great even on high specs, but I simply didnt like the game. Im trying to solve this problem for a long time and I tried many other forums, but this thread is somewhat most close to my problems - any ideas?

PCgamer81

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011
LOL....
It is a laptop for goodness sakes...
Your cpu for a start is 1.6ghz...
That 5870 is rather a glorified 5770...

See the picture building in your head now?

Weaker laptop... define weaker...
Your native res is proberbly 1920x1080... whereas your "weak" one was proberbly 1360x768...

The ASUS G73 series of laptops (Republic of Gamers) are beasts.

I had one that with the same exact specs that could just about max BF3 - and the resolution is 1600x900.

He should be doing waaay better in MW3.

;)

Oh, and you are right about the specs. But the 5870m is actually closer to a 5850 in performance even though it is based off of the 5770.

G

LOL....
It is a laptop for goodness sakes...
Your cpu for a start is 1.6ghz...
That 5870 is rather a glorified 5770...

See the picture building in your head now?

Weaker laptop... define weaker...
Your native res is proberbly 1920x1080... whereas your "weak" one was proberbly 1360x768...

Alright - so what? My friend got the i5 one, less ram same gpu and gets amazing results. I dont quite get what you mean, would be kind of you to explain it

G

Hmmmm.. seems people here are a little slow catching on.
1920x1080 res, with a 1.6ghz cpu, and a 5770....
reiteration, (1920x1080)...
Sorry to be so blunt, but... you are asking a 5770 to play call of duty maxed out with a 1.6ghz cpu..

Reason behind my comment.... black ops loves more than 2 cores above 3.0ghz...
MW3 has extra effects, such as ambient occlusion ect ect..
This all tolls up in the end.

Btw, the i5 is a faster CPU for gaming... higher clock speed.

to be honest, my question was why the cod games are shity even on 800x600, not when they are maxed out. My res is 1600x900, and still I dont get it when you can find people with similar specs to mine playing with everything maxed out, so that is why I dont understand what you are referring to, because I wrote that I cant play even MW1&2 with even 800x600 res. This is something I dont understand, because I can play Battlefield 3 with max res. and most of the options high or moderate. I had a hp laptop before with 4 gigs ram, some geforce 512mb card and dual core cpu.

G

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qmu6QGQ7i6c

i7 720QM
ATI 5870m
8GB DDR3 1333
Intel x25m G2
Sony BD5730S Writer

See the large drops in FPS?
This is the CPU....

But anyway those drops are not affecting the flow of the game, in my case it just slows down. If you claim my specs to be shity, why then they are selling those series as dedicated for gamers? And my main question is, why CoD games are the only ones having problems. I think that BF3 requires much more, but runs way better.

you have a point in that the 5770m isnt the best for gaming but it should give 60 fps on cod4. on mw2 it will be less but mw3 uses the old cod 4 engine with some dx11 shading added(hbao) so if he turns the advanced lighting off he should get decent fps. yes thats a 1.6ghz cpu but it has turbo on it which will put in @2.8ghz when its running flat out so should be fast enough.

it has been seen that if you dont have textures set to native your performance will suffer. you may set it to extra but all you will get is poor fps with no increase in quality and in some cases worse quality than native. also forget aa it will cripple the fps regardless of settings. if your playing the multiplayer then set everything other than textures to minimum to get a solid 60 minimum. if you dont your gonna get owned.

PCgamer81

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011
I had the ASUS G73JH-BST7. Here is a picture that I used when I sold it on craigslist...

2011-11-0919-42-04_493.jpg

That is my reflection in the screen.

Here is specs...

Intel Core i7-740QM 1.73GHz w/ TB @ 2.89GHz
6GB DDR3
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5870
1GB GDDR5 VRAM
17.3" @ 1600x900
640GB HDD
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

Here is the very same laptop maxing out Metro 2033 on my youtube video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jI2g31KiAHI&list=UUZXSZdGb3Su8RvR5QuRyeqw&index=9&feature=plcp

Fraps destroyed my framerate, but without fraps it was very playable - maxed out.

When I played MW2 on that very same laptop, I was able to max it totally out, never dropping below 60fps (VSYNC), and did so with ease.

So maybe you don't understand, Recon. No offense.

spyd33: I really don't know what to tell you, bro. That laptop should be able to handle it, and easily at that.

Do you have it plugged in? Is it set to run in power saving mode and you aren't aware of it?

You should be getting 60+ fps, that laptop is excellent.

G

I really appreciate all of your concern, but dont you get that it slows down even with everything set to minimum? It's simply not smooth you would have to see it to know what I mean. Someone had advised me to change hdd, but whats the point if other games work? All of those games react the same way, I tried possibly all of configurations - res, vsync, aa, etc - switching them all off and on, and mixing those functions; energy plan is set to the maximum, always plugged in, every unnecessary app in background always off. I just don't get it, I even installed drivers without this catalyst stuff. It happens only to cod games, and to be honest I don't give a damn about the rest. Everytime I play on someone else's pc I cant believe my eyes. Im really disappointed, never I will buy a gaming notebook, and not Asus for sure. peace

TRENDING THREADS