Question Calling all Detective Columbos! Two old Z97's put to sleep.

Persister

Honorable
Apr 28, 2014
Then they can't wake. :sleep: My two Z97A fails recently. Or maybe no mystery, they are just old? First one fine 4 years. Replacement a refurbished, OK just over a month.

Witness says: System sleeping. On wake a pulsation thing where cpu fan, psu fan, & fan on psu, start to spin, then stop, then restart; repeating cycle. No post. Fans on mobo headers don't spin. No OC, no visible issues on board.

Over years I read lots about boot fails, not this. Abort start, no post, repeat. Maybe you'll say it's no different. Old mobos fail lots of ways, it's not unusual 2 fail like this?

One more thing: OS W7-64. I add cuz mobo gets order to sleep from OS. I don't know what goes on between them, or whether it involves BIOS. Doesn't matter as I can't access.

Do you have any questions Lieutenant? :unsure:

Persister

Honorable
Apr 28, 2014
A good question but that was the link. I tried other psu before buying 2nd board. Then even got a cheapo cpu to test. Z97 has led's that should show if cpu or ram error in post. But when there is no post . . . ? It is very unusual I think that psu starts, stops, repeats and is getting that order from the mobo. So mobo is not dead-dead, but is like brain-dead. And same way on 2 boards!

By logic and probabilities you might suspect that something in the system must cause same strange fail in two boards. But what could that be?

Now I will go back and try clearing cmos one more time. Digital hardware, s/w too, should not be like a mule. If you do something once it should work, or not. But in my experience there is sometimes a donkey in there.

ASK THE COMMUNITY