News Calling All Folders: We Still Need Your Help to Beat Anandtech (and COVID-19)

gio2vanni86

Distinguished
May 3, 2009
Its really hard to get a work unit. Takes forever. I never had to wait that long before this whole crazy thing. Trying to get my 2nd PC running with my 980's but that has a major issue with the software not sure if its vista or something else. Going to do a clean install n reboot and try again hopefully this weekend. Ive been trying. Will try agin this weekend with my main PC.

MsGambit

Honorable
Oct 30, 2014
+1
Had to get it to work twice , in the last 5 days ..13 WU completed on my side for 99% of the time not finding any work to do ...

MsGambit

Honorable
Oct 30, 2014
Ahha , now my GPU is working on project 11751 which is related to coronavirus :

Projects 11745,11751
Cause: unspecified
CORONAVIRUS PROJECT
Coronavirus SARS-CoV (SARS causing virus) receptor binding domain mutated to the SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19 causing virus) trapped by a SARS-CoV S230 antibody

https://apps.foldingathome.org/project?p=11745

Glad it can now work on it !

Already folding for Linus haha. And yea it is taking a while to get some jobs. I actually haven't had that hard of an issue. Linus said they were going to help them out and host servers at their place with their 10G Fiber.

lets see who got symptoms .. make a thread about it to know the percentage of Toms readers that got the bug

WHAT?

Been folding every night at least since F@H announced they had related WUs. But yeah. GPU is sitting idle a lot of the time because their GPU WU's are in such high demand.

Getting a new WU can be difficult because of the long delays between requests. Restarting the system or F@H can send a new request before the the software would send one. I will caution that if everyone does that, they would likely have to move that delay to the sever side to prevent users creating an artificial DDOS. Normally I'd be doing just shy of 1m PPD...as you can see I'm only about 1/3 of that rate.

starvinmarvin

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2002
Tips:
1. If you want to run Folding@home while using your computer without any obvious slowdown in your normal tasks just set the Power control to "Light". This also means the GPU is lightly used or not used at all.
Benefit: Your CPU and GPU temperatures will not run hot.
2. Same story if you use a laptop. Set the Power for Folding at "Light" and keep the laptop from running hot.

In both cases you are contributing to the project continuously while still getting other work done.