Calling my Mobo broken?

xephos

Honorable
Jan 26, 2013
I say broke and not dead since I can see the PWR_LED turn green once I turn the PSU on.

So one day, my friend's computer suddenly stopped powering up and asked me to investigate.

I went in and found out once you press the power button, it either spins the heatsink fan for a couple seconds then stops spinning them or just has no response. When the fans start and stop spinning, it goes into a cycle of on, off, on, and off again. The power button on the case lights up and then off when the fans stop being powered. The PWR_LED stays on the whole time while all this happens.

Attempted:

• CMOS jumper
    unplugging for a while
    start only with CPU, PSU, and mobo powering, PSU not connected to anything else
    new PSU
    start with CPU, PSU, Mobo, and one stick of RAM, PSU not connected to anything else
All these attempts resulted in the same outcome. At this point, should I just say that the Mobo is broken?

If it helps, the mobo is an ASUS Z97-AR connected to a new EVGA 750W BQ 80 Plus Bronze and previously with the Thermaltake Smart 650W.

Solution
CMOS jumper
unplugging for a while
new PSU
start with CPU, PSU, Mobo, and one stick of RAM, PSU not connected to anything else
I will say either the MB or the cpu has problem, if you don't have other MB or CPU to test, ask someone or local PC shop for help.
CMOS jumper
unplugging for a while
new PSU
I will say either the MB or the cpu has problem, if you don't have other MB or CPU to test, ask someone or local PC shop for help.

Solution