Came home to a dead computer.

Sep 10, 2018
I put my computer in sleep mode before going to work. When I came home i went to wake it up but it was completely off. Tried turning it on but no signs of life at all.

Unplugged all power supply cables and did a paper clip test to see if it was dead, it passed so I plugged everything back in and it was still showing no signs of life. I tried a lot of things but what finally got it to show life was to take out and reseat the cmos battery. After that it will power on everything and every fan will spin. But I can't get signal to my monitor(s). Every few boots would eventually get a monitor to show but not for long.

Pc specs:
And fx 8350
Gigabyte GA-970A-D3P
16gb ram 4x4 (have tried multiple stick configs)
Gtx 1060 6gb
500w psu

Just a few more notes. This pc has been running for about 2 years just fine. Had to replace 1 psu and that was it.
When I first got the pc to turn on the keyboard would stay lit even when the pc was off (until I unplugged it, now the lights don't turn on at all).
I accidentally plugged in my racing wheel at the start and it wouldn't power up on boot other than the few times the screen would turn on momentarily and would go out when the monitor did.

My first thoughts are the psu isn't giving out enough power. Sadly I don't have another one to test. Don't wanna drop cash on a new psu if it is the mono/cpu.

Solution
I'd say it's very likely to be the PSU, but if you wanna check the motherboard, try removing all memory sticks and powering up (a healthy one should beep when there's no RAM installed!). Anyhow, if getting a new PSU, better stick to reputable brands (Such a Seasonic/XFX/Corsair/Antec)

jason201

Prominent
Feb 20, 2018
I'd say it's very likely to be the PSU, but if you wanna check the motherboard, try removing all memory sticks and powering up (a healthy one should beep when there's no RAM installed!). Anyhow, if getting a new PSU, better stick to reputable brands (Such a Seasonic/XFX/Corsair/Antec)

Solution