[SOLVED] Camera for a kid

backonshore

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2008
Oy. Looking for an upgrade for my kids COOLPIX S33.

It's an awesome little camera, drop proof, water proof, has special effects, has a separate button for video. Basically it's just complex enough for a kid to enjoy. And best of all, I think it was like $20 off ebay..

But it's lacking in a lot of ways.
The sound quality is <Mod Edit>. The mic always sounds like it's under water.
It would be nice if pictures were a little nicer. It's probably around 5 optical megapixels.

Any suggestions for something similar?
(meaning water proof, drop proof, built in special effects, easy for a kid to use, etc..)

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
you know. why not. I think it'd be neat to hear what other underwater cameras sound like outside of the lake :). Thanks
I'll record something and upload it for you later ;)

As for the xp140, I seriously considered that one when I was choosing mine, All I was after was a reasonable quality of image without having to constantly worry about looking after it, both fitted the bill, the xp140 actually has a 16.4 Megapixel sensor, higher than the TG6 (12 Megapixel)

In the end I chose the TG6 because would take photo's in RAW image format, something I almost always want to use

I'm not sure about how good the audio would be on the xp140 because it only has a mono microphone, where as the TG6 has stereo

here's a link to a full...
Oy. Looking for an upgrade for my kids COOLPIX S33.

It's an awesome little camera, drop proof, water proof, has special effects, has a separate button for video. Basically it's just complex enough for a kid to enjoy. And best of all, I think it was like $20 off ebay..

But it's lacking in a lot of ways.
The sound quality is <Mod Edit>. The mic always sounds like it's under water.
It would be nice if pictures were a little nicer. It's probably around 5 optical megapixels.

Any suggestions for something similar?
(meaning water proof, drop proof, built in special effects, easy for a kid to use, etc..)
Unfortunately better cameras are more breakable and the sound quality on most cameras isn't great without a separate mic. How old is the kid?

RAIDGoblin

Reputable
Jan 10, 2021
I have an olympus tough tg-6, I've been very impressed with it's performance as a compact camera although I'm not sure it's an upgrade, the specs seem very similar (https://www.productchart.com/cameras/8330_vs_29455), here's some links to photo's I've taken with it if it's any help:

https://www.deviantart.com/maygoldworthy/art/Lakeside-walk-1-860995974
https://www.deviantart.com/maygoldworthy/art/Snow-1-865736418

RAIDGoblin

Reputable
Jan 10, 2021
quality wise, it's not even close. I'll have to take a look thnx
NP :)

You mean not even close in build quality of photo quality? As a DSLR user, the only reason I bought it was so I have a camera I don't have to worry about destroying in the rain and mud when I'm out hiking, because they're both compact cameras with a small lens and sensor I don't think the quality can get much better, although I think the Olympus TG-6 takes video with slightly better sound quality

The only real way to go beyond both of those cameras and still have the "tough" factor would be to get a fully waterproof case for something higher end like an Olympus OM-D, and that's an expensive option

backonshore

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2008
NP :)

You mean not even close in build quality of photo quality? As a DSLR user, the only reason I bought it was so I have a camera I don't have to worry about destroying in the rain and mud when I'm out hiking, because they're both compact cameras with a small lens and sensor I don't think the quality can get much better, although I think the Olympus TG-6 takes video with slightly better sound quality

The only real way to go beyond both of those cameras and still have the "tough" factor would be to get a fully waterproof case for something higher end like an Olympus OM-D, and that's an expensive option
I meant, your pictures are much better than the camera I have :p

RAIDGoblin

Reputable
Jan 10, 2021
Ahhh, I get it, Thanks LOL

The one of the lake has a little bit of digital editing (to add an artificial gradient filter to darken the sky) and the one with the scaffolding is just as it came off the camera

If it would be helpful I can upload something to YouTube with it to show the microphone quality?

backonshore

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2008
Ahhh, I get it, Thanks LOL

The one of the lake has a little bit of digital editing (to add an artificial gradient filter to darken the sky) and the one with the scaffolding is just as it came off the camera

If it would be helpful I can upload something to YouTube with it to show the microphone quality?
you know. why not. I think it'd be neat to hear what other underwater cameras sound like outside of the lake :). Thanks

RAIDGoblin

Reputable
Jan 10, 2021
I'll record something and upload it for you later ;)

As for the xp140, I seriously considered that one when I was choosing mine, All I was after was a reasonable quality of image without having to constantly worry about looking after it, both fitted the bill, the xp140 actually has a 16.4 Megapixel sensor, higher than the TG6 (12 Megapixel)

In the end I chose the TG6 because would take photo's in RAW image format, something I almost always want to use

I'm not sure about how good the audio would be on the xp140 because it only has a mono microphone, where as the TG6 has stereo

here's a link to a full comparison: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/comp..._Olympus_TG-6/BHitems/1544361-REG_1477205-REG

Solution

RAIDGoblin

Reputable
Jan 10, 2021
@backonshore Here's the video:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mn9srqUqOEk

I did a direct comparison by recording my sterio, of the same section of the same song, at the same volume and from the same distance using both my Olympus OM-D and the TG-6, I didn't change the audio levels and made it as fair as I could, see what you think :)

Because it's from the same distance you can also see the diference in field of view between the stock lens (14mm) on the OM-D and the TG-6, as a landscape photographer that was the other selling point for me

Guys thanks. I didn't see any xp140 at a reasonable price locally or on ebay, so I snagged 130 for $60:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/254837214851

Comes with charger so 💪🔥

Looks a good buy if its all in good working order.

Differences are minimal, 4k 15fps video recording on the 140 (all but useless in all honesty and a firmware upgrade could likely have enabled that on the 130 had fuji bothered) and a bigger iso range which I don't think would be of much use to your son.

Its a massive upgrade over his old camera.

backonshore

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2008
@backonshore <snip>

I did a direct comparison by recording my sterio, of the same section of the same song, at the same volume and from the same distance using both my Olympus OM-D and the TG-6, I didn't change the audio levels and made it as fair as I could, see what you think :)

Because it's from the same distance you can also see the diference in field of view between the stock lens (14mm) on the OM-D and the TG-6, as a landscape photographer that was the other selling point for me
very useful. Thanks. TG6 is noticeably quieter, probably due to the extra durability. But it sounded a bit clearer.