Question Cameras outside the restroom ?

Jul 20, 2021
Hi guys weird question here... my boss is planning to install cameras outside of the restroom because he thinks that we spend too much time in the restroom. It's not inside the restroom (thank god) so it's probably not a big deal, but I still can't shake the feeling that other people know when you're going to the restroom and how long you're in there. Is it even legal? Anyways, what do you guys think?

Ralston18

Titan
Agree with @USAFRet

That said:

Your situation is not unique and the privacy matters are both quite obvious with respect to being in the bathroom but also being monitored "in transit" to the bathroom.

Surveillance laws vary from state to state and what the boss can and cannot do is probably a legal question with many nuances.

FYI:

https://www.businessnewsdaily.com/16000-video-surveillance-laws.html

You can easily find other similar links.

Depending on your company and the general situation (not asking) you probably need to start with the HR department - if your company has one.
(For example, you may have a rogue boss. His boss may disagree about using cameras....)

Overall, you need the applicable legal advice. (I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice. Just what I "think".)

Reactions: westinbob2021

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
from what i have seen it has been ruled in various courts over and over than you can expect no privacy while at work and as sick and twisted as this is, it would not fall out of what has been allowed before.

as others have noted though, laws vary by state and only a local lawyer specializing in work relations would truly be able to advise you. starting with HR is not a bad idea but in the end true legal advice is what you really need.

Jul 20, 2021
Agree with @USAFRet

That said:

Your situation is not unique and the privacy matters are both quite obvious with respect to being in the bathroom but also being monitored "in transit" to the bathroom.

Surveillance laws vary from state to state and what the boss can and cannot do is probably a legal question with many nuances.

FYI:

https://www.businessnewsdaily.com/16000-video-surveillance-laws.html

You can easily find other similar links.

Depending on your company and the general situation (not asking) you probably need to start with the HR department - if your company has one.
(For example, you may have a rogue boss. His boss may disagree about using cameras....)

Overall, you need the applicable legal advice. (I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice. Just what I "think".)

I see... Thank you for your help

Jul 20, 2021
from what i have seen it has been ruled in various courts over and over than you can expect no privacy while at work and as sick and twisted as this is, it would not fall out of what has been allowed before.

as others have noted though, laws vary by state and only a local lawyer specializing in work relations would truly be able to advise you. starting with HR is not a bad idea but in the end true legal advice is what you really need.
I thought HR would take care of this but yeah I think legal actions is inevitable.

Jul 20, 2021
I'm looking at it not from a legal or privacy standpoint.
It may be perfectly "legal". And almost certainly is in a lot of places.

But if the boss is this weird and incompetent that he needs to go to this length...I'm out!

There are much much better ways of knowing your employees productivity.
I know right?

Jul 1, 2021
Personally I don't really think it's a good idea to set cameras there. I've done several cases in commercial buildings using axis cameras and skyrec or network optix vms but they are usually installed at public entrances. I don't know much about the law so I can't be sure but you should definitely do some research and ask for professional help.