[SOLVED] Can’t boot Windows after Asus BIOS update

kschu09

Prominent
Jun 10, 2020
So I just updated my BIOS on an Asus TUF Gaming (Wifi) x570 board to get it ready to drop in a new 5000 series Ryzen. However, it reset most of my settings, and won’t boot into Windows that I had On my 970 EVO Plus M.2_1 slot. The only way I can get into Windows is via Windows Boot Manager (which seems to be running sluggish and certain apps won’t even open, etc)

When I do get the 970 EVO drive to list in the Boot Priority list, and I try to actually boot into it, I just get: “Reboot and Select Proper Boot Device or Insert Boot Media in Selected Boot device and press a key”

If it helps for background, I originally installed Windows clean on this m.2 last year but used an old upgrade key to validate it. (Windows 7)

Can anyone help me figure out how to get Windows to just start on my main drive again?

Solution
So I just updated my BIOS on an Asus TUF Gaming (Wifi) x570 board to get it ready to drop in a new 5000 series Ryzen. However, it reset most of my settings, and won’t boot into Windows that I had On my 970 EVO Plus M.2_1 slot. The only way I can get into Windows is via Windows Boot Manager (which seems to be running sluggish and certain apps won’t even open, etc)

When I do get the 970 EVO drive to list in the Boot Priority list, and I try to actually boot into it, I just get: “Reboot and Select Proper Boot Device or Insert Boot Media in Selected Boot device and press a key”

If it helps for background, I originally installed Windows clean on this m.2 last year but used an old upgrade key to validate it. (Windows 7)

Can anyone help...

Can anyone help me figure out how to get Windows to just start on my main drive again?
When you update BIOS it is set to factory defaults which may be different than previous one. Make sure that BIOS is set to same settings (Legacy/Cms or UEFI) as when windows were installed.
For best operation, Windows should be installed in UEFI mode.

Solution

kschu09

Prominent
Jun 10, 2020
Understood, but we’re past that point, and I don’t know the exact settings for the boot drive. What’s my next play to get Windows to boot up automatically on my boot drive, or am I SOL and will need to install Windows again on that drive?