[SOLVED] Can’t find the Wattage for this?

Dylan Beckett

Respectable
Jul 12, 2021
Hello

Could someone help me figure out what wattage this thing is?
I need to know to get the right UPS.

It’s a Roland Octa Capture… it’s an audio interface for microphones/guitars etc (for recording audio into my PC).

I can’t seem to find the usual wattage listed anywhere.
The best I can find is where it says

Here’s a link to the Manual… specs at the back at p95

It just says Current Draw 1.45A - but I need wattage?

https://static.roland.com/assets/media/pdf/OCTA-CAPTURE_v1.6_OM.pdf

hope someone might be able to solve this one?

Also related to the UPS thing…
I have a pair of Presonus Eris 8 (original versions) 8 inch Studio Monitors (audio speakers for music production)

They both list that they are 160w each on the back…. I assume that means power wattage not volume?

And I haven’t bought one yet but from what I can tell 30-50 watts should be plenty to factor in to cover a 27-32 inch 144hz 4K Monitor… does that sound reasonable?

Thank you for your help

Last edited:
Solution
Hello

It’s a Roland Octa Capture… it’s an audio interface for microphones/guitars etc.

I have a pair of Presonus Eris 8 (original versions) 8 inch Studio Monitors (audio speakers for music production)

They both list that they are 160w each on the back…. I assume that means power...

carocuore

Respectable
Jan 24, 2021
States it requires a 2A 9VDC transformer to work (PSB-1U)

60 or 120W
8G43VPn.png

They both list that they are 160w each on the back…. I assume that means power wattage not volume?
Yup.

crazyal

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2009
Hello

It’s a Roland Octa Capture… it’s an audio interface for microphones/guitars etc.

And I haven’t bought one yet but from what I can tell 30-50 watts should be plenty to factor in to cover a 27-32 inch 144hz 4K Monitor… does that sound reasonable?

Thank you for your help
9v x 1.45 amps = 13.05 watts.

States it requires a 2A 9VDC transformer to work (PSB-1U)

60 or 120W
8G43VPn.png

Yup.
The AC input current doesn't give you the overall power consumption when multiplied by the mains AC voltage, the power factor isn't 1 nor is the current draw waveform sinusoidal. 9v DC x 2 amps = 18 watts, perfectly sized for the 13.05 watts drawn by the appliance.

Solution

Dylan Beckett

Respectable
Jul 12, 2021
if this isn't being connected through a PC or other computer you should have the thread moved to the appropriate forum;
Home Entertainment, Audio, etc...

clicking the "Report" button on the bottom left of post will allow reporting/communicating with moderators for the task.

Hey JohnBonhamsGhost

Yeah it is being connected to my pc... that's the whole idea of an audio interface - for recording on my pc!

And yeah it is part of my system build and I want to know cause I need to add the wattage to the total I'll need to cover with my PC's UPS... that's why I'm asking here. Not sure which wattage UPS to get.. trying to tally up the extras that they don't include in those calculator things (which are all totally different btw!)

cheers

Reactions: JohnBonhamsGhost

Dylan Beckett

Respectable
Jul 12, 2021
If it connects directly to a wall socket, multiply the amperage value (A) by 120 if you live in North America or Japan, 240 elsewhere.

According to our national TV channel....

The nominal voltage for Australian households is 230 volts, but because voltage fluctuates all the time, electricity should be delivered within an allowable range of between 216 and 253 volts

so from what you were saying... that'd be 1.45 x 230 = 333.5 watts???

That doesn't sound right at all considering how small it is.... my massive massive Presonus Eris 8 Studio Monitors (audio speakers) say they are 160 watts each?

Are you sure about that forumula?

cheers

Dylan Beckett

Respectable
Jul 12, 2021
9v x 1.45 amps = 13.05 watts.

The AC input current doesn't give you the overall power consumption when multiplied by the mains AC voltage, the power factor isn't 1 nor is the current draw waveform sinusoidal. 9v DC x 2 amps = 18 watts, perfectly sized for the 13.05 watts drawn by the appliance.

Hi

so the 9v brick should only use max 13.05 watts... but is capable of 18 watts if it was used in a different device that require more?

cheers

Dylan Beckett

Respectable
Jul 12, 2021
Hey all

I would love a few more voices to confirm which of these guys is right? I have no idea! (obviously no offense to either of you intended!)
And I really need to get the UPS today to put my build together

cheers!

Last edited:

crazyal

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2009
Hi

so the 9v brick should only use max 13.05 watts... but is capable of 18 watts if it was used in a different device that require more?

cheers
The appliance is rated to consume 13.05 watts max at full load, the power adaptor is sized a bit higher as that is standard practice. The appliance will only draw what it needs from the adaptor, you could power it from a 1000w adaptor and it would only still draw 13.05w maximum if the voltage is correct.

Last edited:

crazyal

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2009
Hey all

I would love a few more voices to confirm which of these guys is right? I have no idea! (obviously no offense to either of you intended!)
And I really need to get the UPS today to put my build together

cheers!
What else is going on that UPS? Take all the wattages of what you need to power with it, add them up and leave around 10-20% overhead as a margin.

Is the UPS output rated in watts or VA (volt-ampere).

carocuore

Respectable
Jan 24, 2021
Hi

How'd you come up with those two values - I don't see them in the photo?
And how can I tell which one it is?

cheers
I*V=P
Ohm's law.

so from what you were saying... that'd be 1.45 x 230 = 333.5 watts???
You're mixing DC and AC values, doesn't makes any sense.

A transformer has an input value, 0.5A and in this case 230V, and an output, 2A and 9V.

0.5*230=115 quickmaffs assuming the input will always be half amp and not a variable value which is what happens IRL when the DC draw isn't 100% or 2A.

115W would be the max it'd draw from the wall with a steady 230V supply