Question Can’t get past BIOS setting screen because PC freezes ?

NebPC

Prominent
Sep 4, 2020
ASUS Z170-E
I7 6700K
GTX 1070 FTW
16gb DDR4 RAM

So I changed my ram sticks to a different slot and now I can’t get past bios screen it freezes with BOOT LED on I’ve reset cmos but when I get on the bios settings screen after 5 seconds it freezes and sometimes BSOD it worked fine before and even after changing the ram sticks however I was tweaking the overclock settings maybe that damaged it
Any help greatly appreciated thank you

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Which slots were they on and what slots did you move them to? If you removed the CMOS battery, make sure you have it removed for 30 minutes prior to replacing it. Also, the system should be disconnected from the wall when you're going to attempt removing the CMOS battery.

Have you tried working with only one stick of ram?

Make and model of the PSU and it's age?

NebPC

Prominent
Sep 4, 2020
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Which slots were they on and what slots did you move them to? If you removed the CMOS battery, make sure you have it removed for 30 minutes prior to replacing it. Also, the system should be disconnected from the wall when you're going to attempt removing the CMOS battery.

Have you tried working with only one stick of ram?

Make and model of the PSU and it's age?
Thanks for speedy reply
They were in slots 34 and I moved them to 2-4 which worked after me changing the bios to optimal and saving it’s started doing this
power supply is Corsair cx550m

and since 2016 so 4 years and yes I’ve tried with 1 stick in each slot and yes I removed cmos battery only for 15 mins though also reset cmos via jumper

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
4 years is a long time, you should try and source a donor PSU(form a friend or neighbor, who owns a reliably built PSU) and see if the issue is resolved. If the board doesn't show any signs of life after the CMOS is reset(the hard way with the battery replaced) then the issue can be your board. Perhaps try another kit of ram and see if that helps.

FYI, if you're using two sticks of ram, you should be populating slots A2 and B2, as stated in the manual. Slots 2 and 4 are often misinterpretations. Get a fine bristle (paint)brush and see if you can clean the ram slots on the board, then use an eraser to wipe the gold finger/contacts on the sticks of ram. Remember to wipe them clean before you drop them into the slot(s).

NebPC

Prominent
Sep 4, 2020
4 years is a long time, you should try and source a donor PSU(form a friend or neighbor, who owns a reliably built PSU) and see if the issue is resolved. If the board doesn't show any signs of life after the CMOS is reset(the hard way with the battery replaced) then the issue can be your board. Perhaps try another kit of ram and see if that helps.

FYI, if you're using two sticks of ram, you should be populating slots A2 and B2, as stated in the manual. Slots 2 and 4 are often misinterpretations. Get a fine bristle (paint)brush and see if you can clean the ram slots on the board, then use an eraser to wipe the gold finger/contacts on the sticks of ram. Remember to wipe them clean before you drop them into the slot(s).
I don’t have extra PSU handy but will try when I can could me messing with overclock settings fried the cpu as after I changed the ram first time I managed to get to Home Screen but then I tweaked bios settings and it started not booting. I’ve wiped ram and slots I got to the bios screen this time but it instantly froze cpu temp was 28C and 1.28V and it recognised both of my RAM sticks after restart it tried to system repair but froze again

Edit: I changed the keyboard usb to one at the front and booted it from F8 menu chose windows and now it’s formatting could that really of been the issue???

never mind black screen after reset :(

Last edited:

NebPC

Prominent
Sep 4, 2020
Just took battery out for 30min when rebooting froze restarted got to bios settings. screen froze now booted past bios said please wait kept spinning then BSOD have no idea what to do