[SOLVED] Can’t run exe files

May 6, 2021
Hello. I have a really old laptop running windows 8.1 pro. After downloading exe files they will not run. Is there a way to run registry repair without third party software?

Thank you!

Solution
If you can run notepad even if you have to launch it from Run or a Dos box (or use another computer to make this), then you can use Doug Knox's old file association fix for EXE files:
Copy and paste this into a text file, then rename it to exe_fix.reg
Doubleclick should run it, as it's not an EXE file

Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.exe]
@="exefile"
"Content Type"="application/x-msdownload"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.exe\PersistentHandler]
@="{098f2470-bae0-11cd-b579-08002b30bfeb}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile]
@="Application"
"EditFlags"=hex:38,07,00,00
"TileInfo"="prop:FileDescription;Company;FileVersion"
"InfoTip"="prop:FileDescription;Company;FileVersion;Create;Size"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\DefaultIcon]...

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
What makes you consider this a registry issue?

Do you own this laptop, I mean by way of always been yours, or did it belong to a business or school? Point being, do you have administrator access to it?

It is not uncommon for computers used within a corporate or educational structure to disallow the standard user to install anything as a first line security measure. This may not be what you are dealing with, but was the first thing that comes to mind.

May 6, 2021
It is my computer and I have administrative rights. I googled about exe files not launching and saw mention that it can be a registry issue.

For example I downloaded ccleaner and when I went to launch it nothing happened. I right clicked and ran as administrator and it will not run. Any ideas come to mind?

If you can run notepad even if you have to launch it from Run or a Dos box (or use another computer to make this), then you can use Doug Knox's old file association fix for EXE files:
Copy and paste this into a text file, then rename it to exe_fix.reg
Doubleclick should run it, as it's not an EXE file

Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.exe]
@="exefile"
"Content Type"="application/x-msdownload"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.exe\PersistentHandler]
@="{098f2470-bae0-11cd-b579-08002b30bfeb}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile]
@="Application"
"EditFlags"=hex:38,07,00,00
"TileInfo"="prop:FileDescription;Company;FileVersion"
"InfoTip"="prop:FileDescription;Company;FileVersion;Create;Size"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\DefaultIcon]
@="%1"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\open]
"EditFlags"=hex:00,00,00,00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\open\command]
@="\"%1\" %*"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\runas]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\runas\command]
@="\"%1\" %*"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shellex]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shellex\DropHandler]
@="{86C86720-42A0-1069-A2E8-08002B30309D}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shellex\PropertySheetHandlers]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shellex\PropertySheetHandlers\PEAnalyser]
@="{09A63660-16F9-11d0-B1DF-004F56001CA7}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shellex\PropertySheetHandlers\PifProps]
@="{86F19A00-42A0-1069-A2E9-08002B30309D}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shellex\PropertySheetHandlers\ShimLayer Property Page]
@="{513D916F-2A8E-4F51-AEAB-0CBC76FB1AF8}"

Solution
May 6, 2021
Usually Ccleaner is downloaded from a website, accessed via a web browser. Most web browsers are EXE files. How did you download it?

Ccleaner when downloaded usually comes as an installer package, which is an EXE file. How did you manage to install Ccleaner?
I downloaded the ccleaner.exe and when I went to open it nothing happened.

As stated earlier: to download Ccleaner you normally would use your browser (which is an EXE file, that you claim you cannot run) and go to their web site. Then you download the installer (currently ccsetup583.exe). To install it you run the installer, which is an EXE file that you claim you cannot run.

Now you say you have downloaded ccleaner.exe. Not the installer, if I understand you correctly.

How did you download it without using a browser?
How did you download it without getting the installer?
From where did you download it?

I downloaded the ccleaner.exe
it would appear you are downloading from an invalid source if you've access to just a ccleaner.exe but not the full installer.

you are more than likely downloading from a malware link or from a pirate file hoster.
if malware, you're probably already infected.
if pirate, than you are downloading illegally and violating Tom's Hardware rules by requesting help running it.

May 6, 2021
Now I see the confusion and I apologize. When I download a program that is an exe file, such as ccleaner, the file will not execute when I double click on it.

When I download a program that is an exe file, such as ccleaner, the file will not execute when I double click on it.
and as has already been stated multiple times;
you need to install the program to run it.
which requires downloading the install package from it's host site.
you cannot just download a solo .exe file and click to run the application.

also as has already been asked;
where did you get this file?
either provide the link you downloaded from or post the site you are using to find it.

May 6, 2021
and as has already been stated multiple times;
you need to install the program to run it.
which requires downloading the install package from it's host site.
you cannot just download a solo .exe file and click to run the application.

also as has already been asked;
where did you get this file?
either provide the link you downloaded from or post the site you are using to find it.
I went to ccleaner.com, clicked “free download” and the file as shown in the posture. Screenshot is from mobile but it’s the same file I downloaded on the laptop. This ccsetup.exe is what downloaded. I can double click it on my windows 10 machine and the installer launches and it installs fine. I do the same in the windows 8.1 laptop and nothing happens

USAFRet

Titan
I went to ccleaner.com, clicked “free download” and the file as shown in the posture. Screenshot is from mobile but it’s the same file I downloaded on the laptop. This ccsetup.exe is what downloaded. I can double click it on my windows 10 machine and the installer launches and it installs fine. I do the same in the windows 8.1 laptop and nothing happens
It should be....ccsetup583.exe.

t2CKRf9.png

May 6, 2021
what screen shot?

how are you launching a browser to download the file if you can't run .exe files?

if this issue with CCleaner is the only instance than you need to rephrase to reflect that.
not being to launch a single program is A LOT different than not being to run .exe files in general.
No screen shot. I edited my post and forgot to take out that line.
And I did acknowledge my error and apologized for it.

I did acknowledge my error and apologized for it.
When I download a program that is an exe file, such as ccleaner, the file will not execute when I double click on it.
"such as" would infer that ccleaner is just a similar file that also would not work as expected.
you still have not acknowledged that this is the only instance of this issue that you are facing.

check the CCleaner directory and .exe file for Windows security blocks.
if it recognizes it as a malicious file for some reason than it may just block access.

if this gets you nowhere and if the previously posted registry fix does not work
reinstall the OS.

May 6, 2021
I’ll rephrase my inquiry. I have 2 computers. A laptop and desktop. I dowloaded 2 programs that are in the exe format. When I launch the exe file on the desktop the program installer starts and the program installs. On the laptop when I launch the exe file nothing happens.