Question Can’t see a difference between 165 hz and 60 hz

rjcard32315

Commendable
Jul 29, 2018
I have a dell 165 hz 1440p gaming monitor and a TN dell omen 25 inch 144 hz gaming monitor, when I upgraded from my old dell 60 hz monitor I couldn’t tell a difference in either. Now months later I still can’t tell a difference and hate the colors the Tn panels produce. I like it better on my ips dell monitor.
Is there something I can do to properly see the hz difference?
PC SPECS:
Ryzen 7 1700
GTX 1080
16 GB 3200 Corsair rgb ram
Nvme boot ssd
And trust me I have done ufo tests, adjusted the setting in the nvidia control panel to show the 165 hz and 144hz

rjcard32315

Commendable
Jul 29, 2018
"hz" is the monitors refresh rate. Just because you have a 144hz monitor doesn't mean you have 144fps. What are your framerates while gaming?
The games I play are Minecraft, Forza horizon 4, multiple indie games that all have native support for 165, battlefront 2, republic commando, ray man, everything literally, I have fps enabled I GeForce experience so I know I can get 165 fps

rjcard32315

Commendable
Jul 29, 2018
Do you know anyone that knows they have a working high framerate monitor? It would be helpful to know if there's something wrong with your connection or your eyes just aren't good at perceiving high refresh rates.
I am actually at my friends house and he has a asus 144 hz gaming monitor and he tried showing me the difference in “smoothness” and called me crazy when I couldn’t see anything special in moving a tab

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
I am actually at my friends house and he has a asus 144 hz gaming monitor and he tried showing me the difference in “smoothness” and called me crazy when I couldn’t see anything special in moving a tab

Can you have him run the UFO test on his monitor? That could verify whether it's just hard for you to perceive. I would imagine there are some eye issues that could cause this problem, but it's way out of my specific areas of expertise.