Question Can 60hz monitors play 24fps movies at 24fps, or do I need 72hz - 144hz monitors ?

Apr 13, 2024
Can 60hz monitors also be lowered to 24hz to play 24fps movies at 24fps, or can they either not do it, or it would look bad? Im going with flicker free monitor so it might be fine if they can do it.

Reason I ask is seems like 144hz monitors tend to have more issues than 60hz. But 60hz is not a multiple of 24. Plz give advice.

What Im looking for is flicker free monitor with good brightness, contrast, color, and motion (no smear, ghosting etc) for 24fps movies.

According to RTINGS.com, these are the only 10 choices:
https://www.rtings.com/monitor/tools/table/141828

Last edited:

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Refresh rate shouldn't matter watching movies as the source material's fps is fixed. So don't worry about that aspect of it and look for a monitor that has good colour contrast and is good for movie watching. Maybe oled.

Can 60hz monitors also be lowered to 24hz to play 24fps movies at 24fps, or can they either not do it, or it would look bad? Im going with flicker free monitor so it might be fine if they can do it.

Reason I ask is seems like 144hz monitors tend to have more issues than 60hz. But 60hz is not a multiple of 24. Plz give advice.

What Im looking for is flicker free monitor with good brightness, contrast, color, and motion (no smear, ghosting etc) for 24fps movies.
At least acc. to rtings, these are the only 10 choices: https://www.rtings.com/monitor/tools/table/1418
That website only includes monitors that they have bought and tested; there are way more monitors out there that they haven't bought and tested. Most monitors don't even specify a minimum vertical Hz figure. You have to read the manual for whatever monitor you're considering and look for something in the specs. For example, something like "Synchronization (PANEL Spec) Vertical Frequency 48 ~ 165 Hz" which is buried in the manual for Samsung's 32" Odyssey G32A FHD 165Hz 1ms Gaming Monitor. Other manuals usually have a section on video codecs supported so you would look to see what resolutions and Hz are supported in that data.

Apr 13, 2024
That website only includes monitors that they have bought and tested; there are way more monitors out there that they haven't bought and tested. Most monitors don't even specify a minimum vertical Hz figure. You have to read the manual for whatever monitor you're considering and look for something in the specs. For example, something like "Synchronization (PANEL Spec) Vertical Frequency 48 ~ 165 Hz" which is buried in the manual for Samsung's 32" Odyssey G32A FHD 165Hz 1ms Gaming Monitor. Other manuals usually have a section on video codecs supported so you would look to see what resolutions and Hz are supported in that data.

Tyvm. I have neurological issues that make it difficult for me to read. Was wondering if anyone can check for me if any of these models can do 24 or 48hz.

Ty & sry to ask