Can a 4K 120hz TV be used in 3D with a PC software and glasses?

super300

Honorable
Jul 16, 2012
Hello!

I have a Vizio M series TV screen that is used as a monitor for my PC.
I was wondering if it could be possible in any way to produce a 3D effect with this monitor utillizing a certain software. Since 3D is an alternating picture, and the refresh rate suits 3D, I thought that maybe some software exists that can create the 3D effect (when I wear 3D glasses, naturally).
I have PowerDVD 15, if it helps in any way.
By the way, at this moment I am utillising the built in Intel GPU, since i sold my GTX 580 for an upcoming upgrade (now it is delayed for a while since I do not have the budget unfortunately.)

By the way, of course that by 3D I don't mean the 3D that utillizes different colors such as blue and red.

This subject really intrigues me for a long time. Please let me know everything you know of this subject, any possibility and requirement in order to make it possible. I would be eternally gratefull.

Many thanks!

Jen_Sai

Commendable
Oct 30, 2016
The newer (4k capable) model doesn't have 3d display Options
I do wonder if there is a way myself...I mean my ps3 was originally just a bluray player, a simple firmware update and it can push out 3d content.
However I'd image changing the way a screen produces its image so it can then be interpreted by glasses and create a 3d picture is surely a whole other kettle of fish?

Edit:
Came across this...

http://www.ebay.com/gds/What-Products-Can-I-Use-to-Turn-My-2D-Television-into-a-3D-Television-/10000000205102345/g.html

Not sure, might be something helpful in there, sounds like there are such things as converters...who knew lol

super300

Honorable
Jul 16, 2012
Thanks for the replies!
I do indeed have the model without the 3D capabillity. This is why I am wondering if there is a kind of a hack.

The convertors seem very interesting. The only problem is that they seem to produce a bad 3D (I only seemed to find convertors utillising the blue-red 3D).
Correct me if I am wrong and there are decent convertors that produce an effect similiar to the effect of TVs with a built in 3D.

Please, anyone else who knows of any other possible form of producing a good quality 3D with my TV screen that I use as a PC monitor-please let me know.
It seems to me that it must be possible in a certain way.
Many thanks!
EDIT: Isn't that actually a convertor for 3D ready TVs, that only converts 2D content to 3D..?

Natsukage

Estimable
Oct 28, 2016
Hello.

The problem is that 3D in TVs nowadays is active. Even if you somehow send signal at 60hz for each eye to your tv, it either won't be recognized at all by the video card, or the 120hz CMR processing in your Vizio will throw it out of whack. And this option cannot be disabled in most new TV. The only way for an incompatible LCD to do 3D is the colored glasses method, sadly.

Meanwhile, my 1995, 36" tube monitor can do real active 3D @200hz without issues. xD

super300

Honorable
Jul 16, 2012
Got it. Thanks for the answer!

I think I will have to wait until some more 4k content will come out, and then I will be able to take advantage of this (highly recommended) screen :)