Can a bad PSU harm components ?

ChrisTsall99

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2015
Hello, a friend of mine wants to buy a new GPU . He has Q9400 as cpu . So we want to check if he could play pubg even with 30 fps with my GPU . At this moment I am running Gigabyte GTX 1050 Ti 4GB OC with Coolermaster G650M as PSU . He has a no name 750 Watts PSU , can it harm my GPU ?

Solution
if there is no proper surge protection from your PSU and motherboard, yes it may will harm your components from that sudden burst of electricity. depending on how common in your area to have those then chances of it happening goes higher.
however, the most common issue from bad PSUs is not having enough amps/stable volts to power your setup. so you shouldnt worry too much. CoolerMaster is not that bad a brand to destroy your components.

marksavio

Estimable
Dec 23, 2017
if there is no proper surge protection from your PSU and motherboard, yes it may will harm your components from that sudden burst of electricity. depending on how common in your area to have those then chances of it happening goes higher.
however, the most common issue from bad PSUs is not having enough amps/stable volts to power your setup. so you shouldnt worry too much. CoolerMaster is not that bad a brand to destroy your components.

Solution