[SOLVED] Can a broken flat (display) cable cause BSOD?

Aug 13, 2020
Hello folks,

My Lenovo G510 laptop suffered from screen flickering. I took it for repairs and the laptop was diagnosed with bad flat (display) cable. The guys at the repair shop told me that they repaired the cable. There's no screen flickering now. However, I occasionally get Windows 10 BSOD: windows has run into error and needs to repair and restart... Somehow this happens when a tilt the display of my laptop. Do you guys think that the repaired flat (display) cable for the LCD in my Lenovo G510 may be causing the BSOD?

Many thanks

Solution
I will say yes.

Confirm though:

"Somehow this happens when a tilt the display of my laptop." Typo: "a" instead of "I"?

Reason: the cable is causing an electrical short when the display is tilted in a certain way.

If the BSODs are consistent with the display tilt go back to the repair shop and show them the problem.

Those cables are unlikely repairable per se. A new cable is probably needed and its routing needs to be checked for places where the cable is being crushed, crimped, or otherwise physically damaged by the display being moved.

Take a close look at the current cable. There may be some sign of damage that will help narrow down the cause.

Ralston18

Titan
I will say yes.

Confirm though:

"Somehow this happens when a tilt the display of my laptop." Typo: "a" instead of "I"?

Reason: the cable is causing an electrical short when the display is tilted in a certain way.

If the BSODs are consistent with the display tilt go back to the repair shop and show them the problem.

Those cables are unlikely repairable per se. A new cable is probably needed and its routing needs to be checked for places where the cable is being crushed, crimped, or otherwise physically damaged by the display being moved.

Take a close look at the current cable. There may be some sign of damage that will help narrow down the cause.

Solution
Aug 13, 2020
I will say yes.

Confirm though:

Thank you for the detailed answer.