[SOLVED] can a compaq presario 6000 support a 5 1/4 diskette drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

petercli

Prominent
Jul 5, 2020
compaq presario 6000 running XP

I put in a diskette. After "dir a:" and get message : The device is not ready.

for Floppy Diskette A, the cmos settings only shows 3.5 inch (720,1.444,2.88) - is there a work around?

Thanks, Peter

Solution
I installed the 5 1/4 using the same cable that the 3.5 inch diskette was using before. I don't see any jumps on the drive. I just want to extract files from a diskette i created in DOS back on 1986 - is there a company that can help with that ?
And what is this 5 1/4" drive? There were several over the years, ranging from single sided 360K to two sided 1.44MB. You need to match the drive to the diskette. You may also need to use a different data cable. And, as you've already been told in your other thread, a 35 year old floppy disk is likely not recoverable, at any price. The oxide tends to flake over time, and, the magnetic flux dissipates over time and after this many years may not be readable by any means. Also...
compaq presario 6000 running XP

I put in a diskette. After "dir a:" and get message : The device is not ready.

for Floppy Diskette A, the cmos settings only shows 3.5 inch (720,1.444,2.88) - is there a work around?

Thanks, Peter
Probably should go put this question in a Legacy or Retro computing forum....

Did you just install the FDD? did you use the right cables? is the cable fully inserted? If the board has an FDD header then I'd say it should support one.

You might check Device Manager in Windows to see if it's identifying the FDD and loaded the drivers with no conflicts.

The cable may have two connectors...try both connectors on the FDD. Jumpers also have to be correct...check your manual for that.

petercli

Prominent
Jul 5, 2020
I installed the 5 1/4 using the same cable that the 3.5 inch diskette was using before. I don't see any jumps on the drive. I just want to extract files from a diskette i created in DOS back on 1986 - is there a company that can help with that ?

And what is this 5 1/4" drive? There were several over the years, ranging from single sided 360K to two sided 1.44MB. You need to match the drive to the diskette. You may also need to use a different data cable. And, as you've already been told in your other thread, a 35 year old floppy disk is likely not recoverable, at any price. The oxide tends to flake over time, and, the magnetic flux dissipates over time and after this many years may not be readable by any means. Also, if the BIOS doesn't list a 5 1/4" drive then you can't use one on the motherboard interface. As said above, your best bet is a USB floppy, assuming you can even find a 5 1/4" USB drive.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.