[SOLVED] Can a CPU cause internet connectivity errors?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seyathen

Commendable
Oct 21, 2020
So I have tried to upgrade my system to ITX form factor, and have run into only one problem: internet connectivity. All browsers display SSL errors, and the pc stays connected to the network while the windows network troubleshooter reports no issues. This happens on all networks, as well as with different RAM sticks. This issue also occurred with the ROG STRIX B450-I motherboard, which I ended up returning. Now, with a different motherboard and the same issues I am wondering if the problem is my cpu, and how to fix it? Or, if it's not fixable, to at least be sure that it is the CPU that is the problem.

My current system:
CPU: Ryzen 3 3200G
MOBO: X570 Phantom gaming-ITX/BT3
RAM: Team Elite Plus 16GB DDR4-2400 CL 16
GPU: ASUS Radeon R9 280x Direct CU II TOP

SSD: Team Group MP33 M.2 2280 256GB

PSU: Corsair CV 550W 80+ Bronze

Seyathen

Commendable
Oct 21, 2020
Did you reinstall Windows after the hardware changes?
With a fresh install of windows, I cannot finish the setup because after connecting to a network I am met with blank white screens in the windows setup. If I connect a boot drive with windows already on it, it has the same errors.
Is your Windows time (including timezone) correct?
I cannot set the windows time, as I cannot fully install windows. BIOS time is correct, however

Seyathen

Commendable
Oct 21, 2020
Could a defective CPU cause such issues? Yes. Have you inspected the CPU for bent/missing pins? Since you have experienced same issue with two motherboards, the common components used with them are likely the root of the problem.
I will check the CPU for damaged pins. I successfully installed windows, and can update windows both downloading and installing, but if I try to do anything on edge I am met with blank pages, out of memory error, couldn't download - network issue, the likes

Seyathen

Commendable
Oct 21, 2020
Could a defective CPU cause such issues? Yes. Have you inspected the CPU for bent/missing pins? Since you have experienced same issue with two motherboards, the common components used with them are likely the root of the problem.
There is no apparent pin damage one the CPU. There seems to be a smudge of thermal paste that may be making contact between 3 pins, however. Edit: This has been cleaned off and the issues still remain

Last edited:

Seyathen

Commendable
Oct 21, 2020
I set up a test pc, that had the same components but only changed the CPU. With a different processor, there seems to be no issues (even with an incorrect windows time). Is this clear evidence of a faulty CPU?

Status
Not open for further replies.