[SOLVED] Can a CPU cooler work with only two connectors to motherboard??

Supchic579

Prominent
Mar 17, 2019
I was replacing my CMOS battery and removed my CPU cooler

When reinstalling the cooler I noticed that one or two of the connectors was either snapped or jammed

I am considering only using the two connectors as they appear to be stable or would that result in heat gain and overheating??

Solution
Having the cooler connected to only two prongs may cause issues, especially if you have the cooler on the side not up and down since all the stress of the weight and trying to keep it flush on the CPU is on half the supports. You may want to have someone look at the system to see how exactly it's connected, you may just not be looking at it properly and there is actually no issue, just needs a bit of adjusting.

Supchic579

Prominent
Mar 17, 2019
I’m not sure what connector you mean in this situation.. could you post a picture that shows the connector?
[/QOTE]
I think the correct term would be bracket? But anyway I didn't see your reply and I grew impatient and decided to turn the computer on with only two brackets connected and within a minute of being turned on the computer switched itself off...

My guess is that the computer overheated or had something to to with the recent bios reset. Just when I thought I had gotten a temporary fix :(

Supchic579

Prominent
Mar 17, 2019
Something happened to my autocorrect and it changed itself after I posted the question and I meant Mobo or motherboard not mobile
What I really mental to say was:

If I had two of the CPU cooler brackets connected would that effect the the temperature of the CPU and cause crashes?

I still wonder about that but now my only problem is replacing my thermal paste after mistakenly removing the CPU cooler... Do you have any tips Otherwise I think I have everything solved for now

Thanks for your time

You still haven't posting any picture so I will GUESS.

Connectors are for electrical connections, like a fan's 4 pin

A bracket is for mechanical rigidlity, missing it may induce unwanted vibration and cooler may not be sitting exactly flush to the cpu may cause overheating.

Having the cooler connected to only two prongs may cause issues, especially if you have the cooler on the side not up and down since all the stress of the weight and trying to keep it flush on the CPU is on half the supports. You may want to have someone look at the system to see how exactly it's connected, you may just not be looking at it properly and there is actually no issue, just needs a bit of adjusting.

Solution

Supchic579

Prominent
Mar 17, 2019
You still haven't posting any picture so I will GUESS.

Connectors are for electrical connections, like a fan's 4 pin

A bracket is for mechanical rigidlity, missing it may induce unwanted vibration and cooler may not be sitting exactly flush to the cpu may cause overheating.
Oof sorry about no picture but that is what I needed