[SOLVED] Can a dead CPU stop a motherboard from powering up completely?

Oct 23, 2021
I was switching around my cpu to test a brand new motherboard I'd just bought for a friend, pc turned on great with no problems but when i tried to go back and return the cpu to my build it didnt post.

Then i pulled the cpu tried cleaning the pins with isopropyl alcohol to see if it was a bad connection and it would run on the new motherboard.

After i saw it worked on the new motherboard i switched it back to my motherboard and again wouldnt post. This is where i might have [mess] up because i tried cleaning the socket with isopropyl alcohol, left it for a while for the alcohol to evaporate and now the motherboard powers on just fine without the CPU seated and with it seated but not locked down. When i lock it down the motherboard refuses to power on, no leds no fans nothing. Only thing plugged to the motherboard at this point is CPU an ssd and the PSU. Please help i wouldnt want to go buy another cpu or even a new motherboard

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
I was switching around my cpu to test a brand new motherboard I'd just bought for a friend, pc turned on great with no problems but when i tried to go back and return the cpu to my build it didnt post.

Then i pulled the cpu tried cleaning the pins with isopropyl alcohol to see if it was a bad connection and it would run on the new motherboard.

After i saw it worked on the new motherboard i switched it back to my motherboard and again wouldnt post. This is where i might have [mess] up because i tried cleaning the socket with isopropyl alcohol, left it for a while for the alcohol to evaporate and now the motherboard powers on just fine without the CPU seated and with it seated but not locked down. When i lock it down the motherboard...

After i saw it worked on the new motherboard i switched it back to my motherboard and again wouldnt post. This is where i might have [mess] up because i tried cleaning the socket with isopropyl alcohol, left it for a while for the alcohol to evaporate and now the motherboard powers on just fine without the CPU seated and with it seated but not locked down. When i lock it down the motherboard refuses to power on, no leds no fans nothing. Only thing plugged to the motherboard at this point is CPU an ssd and the PSU. Please help i wouldnt want to go buy another cpu or even a new motherboard
Reset CMOS with the CPU in place...do it with a battery pull at the same time, leaving it out for a few minutes before reassembing.

But re-check the pins for any that are bent hard-over. It's easy to miss one.

Powering the system on with CPU installed but the lever not locked means no heatsink on it. Assuming the CPU got power it may have been damaged.

What besides alcohol did you use to clean the socket? if a tooth brush or something with strong bristles they could have dislodged the really fine socket contact 'leaves'. Also, the socket will retain a lot of alcohol that dries slowly from the trapped areas and take much longer than 'a while' to dry.

Last edited:
Solution