Question Can a Dell Inspiron 5594 run extended monitors? How many? How?

theophilusrex

Prominent
Jul 15, 2018
I have a Dell Inspiron 5594 with an HDMI port, two USB 3.1 Gen 1 ports, and a USB 2.0 port. I would like to have two extended monitors if possible, but will settle for one if possible. I have called Dell too many times and they tell me it can be done, but the keep sending me cables and accessories that do not work. Is it possible with this machine? How can I find out? If it can be done, how can I do it?

On a modern machine the graphics chip will support at least two monitors, though not all have the ports to support it. If you have no dedicated video outputs aside from that HDMI (e.g., DVI, DisplayPort, etc) a graphics card would help for certain. If you need multiple displays but otherwise not a huge graphics demand, you won't need to shell out for one of the top cards; an entry level card would work.

Reactions: theophilusrex

theophilusrex

Prominent
Jul 15, 2018
Thank you for your response. I am going to plead ignorance here. Is the graphics card external or do I need to have one installed in the laptop? Is there a recommendation that you would make? I am doing some very lite video production, but no gaming or major production (just some real estate stuff). Most of what I do is either print media or reports.

theophilusrex

Prominent
Jul 15, 2018
The problems with Dells suggestions was that they had USB-C and DisplayPort connections, neither of which I have on my computer. I did try an adaptor, but that did not work either. I am thinking that I am relegated to one additional screen out of my HDMI port, but at this point in time, I am not entirely certain about that. I am having difficulty getting a definitive answer.

Well the processor supports three displays (which here would include your laptops native display)

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/processors/core/i5-processors/i5-10210u.html

...though for a laptop that depends on having two extra connectors supporting a display. Many new laptops have HDMI and at least one type-C port. As you lack that type C connection your options become more limited.

What kind of adapter did you try? A USB 3 to type C adapter doesn't support the 'extra' features of type C. There are USB 3 type A to HDMI adapters you can attempt.

The problems with Dells suggestions was that they had USB-C and DisplayPort connections, neither of which I have on my computer. I did try an adaptor, but that did not work either. I am thinking that I am relegated to one additional screen out of my HDMI port, but at this point in time, I am not entirely certain about that. I am having difficulty getting a definitive answer.

Not sure why Dell could not tell you what to use, your system only has one HDMI port and no docking connection so you can't use a second external screen out of the box. You can get a USB 3 to HDMI video adapter which is just a low end second video card. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07WTN45Z...9Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

The cheaper models are cheaper, the higher end models from less generic brands like Startech have better support, but they are all more or less the same product on the inside.

theophilusrex

Prominent
Jul 15, 2018
I really appreciate all the information. At this point in time I am going to check out the hardware you recommended above. If I use that and then add a second extended screen to my HDMI port, will I be able to then have two extended screens, one using the HDMI port and one using the USB to HDMI adapter you recommended. It looks like ShizTech (above) said that this computer will support three displays. I just do not want duplicate screens. Thank you again for your help on this.

theophilusrex

Prominent
Jul 15, 2018
Thank you for your help. hang-the-9 suggested using a USB to HDMI adapter. I will ask you the same question if you do not mind. If I use the USB to HDMI adaptor and then add a second extended screen to my HDMI port, will I be able to then have two extended screens, one using the HDMI port and one using the USB to HDMI adapter. You mentioned that this computer will support three displays. I just do not want duplicate screens. Let me know your thoughts on this. Again, thank you for your help.

theophilusrex

Prominent
Jul 15, 2018
I attempted to use an USB 3 to HDMI video card adapter, but the computer does not seem to be able to detect the second extended monitor. It only detects the one directly coming out of the HDMI port (and I only have one HDMI port). I am guessing that this laptop does not have the capability to detect a third monitor (laptop monitor plus two extended monitors). Please let me know if I am wrong about that, and if I am, what I need to do to get a third monitor from this laptop.

I read this on one of the Google responses:

HDMI, unlike DisplayPort, does not have the ability to send two different display streams through the same cable, so there is no device you can connect to an HDMI port that will provide you with that capability. The splitter, as the name implies, will just send the same signal to multiple monitors.

Thanks for all your help and advice.

I attempted to use an USB 3 to HDMI video card adapter, but the computer does not seem to be able to detect the second extended monitor. It only detects the one directly coming out of the HDMI port (and I only have one HDMI port). I am guessing that this laptop does not have the capability to detect a third monitor (laptop monitor plus two extended monitors). Please let me know if I am wrong about that, and if I am, what I need to do to get a third monitor from this laptop.

I read this on one of the Google responses:

HDMI, unlike DisplayPort, does not have the ability to send two different display streams through the same cable, so there is no device you can connect to an HDMI port that will provide you with that capability. The splitter, as the name implies, will just send the same signal to multiple monitors.

Thanks for all your help and advice.

Did you install the drivers for the adapter you got? What the laptop can run does not matter when you add in the other video card. You are not using the same cable so the HDMI splitter does not matter to you, one cable to the laptop card, other cable on the USB card.