[SOLVED] Can a gaming chair cause lots of static?

yaggaz

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2013
Okay so first off, I have NEVER had static problems until I purchased a SecretLabs gaming chair. The static began around the same time as I got the chair but I'm just wondering if something else could have changed. Bad UPS? Short in the house? Some wire in my PC is touching something it shouldn't?

Here's what happens. So I'm gaming away and I get up to get some water, as I stand up out of my chair massive amounts of static pop through my speaker system. Sometimes like 7 loud ticks in a single second. It often causes my monitor to flick on and off. But only happens when I leave the chair.

I'm scared components are being killed here. Should I invest in a high quality anti static desktop matt? New UPS? Thanks.

Solution
put a different chair in its place over a day or two and see.

it's possible that excessive amounts of static could damage certain components and\or peripherals.
just don't directly touch anything internally or any metal on exposed ports until you have discharged the static first.
put a different chair in its place over a day or two and see.

it's possible that excessive amounts of static could damage certain components and\or peripherals.
just don't directly touch anything internally or any metal on exposed ports until you have discharged the static first.

Solution

JWNoctis

Respectable
Jun 9, 2021
Certainly possible. I've killed headphone amps with statics like this, but that's in dry weather.

And the computer itself - a laptop - did not notice anything. Check your computer's and house's grounding as well.

Remove yourself from all contacts with hardware before leaving your chair. See if that helps.

OrlyP

Reputable
Aug 20, 2020
It's not so much the actual chair, but the materials used on it. Whenever you move about or rub your clothing on it, that might be enough to build-up static on your body,

If the chair has to stay, you can alleviate any static build-up by touching anything metal (ie. PC case, metal frame of your desk, etc.) while standing up. Alternatively, you can let the ball of your heel touch the floor for a second to dissipate the build-up. Finally, you can increase the humidity in the room.

yaggaz

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2013
It's not so much the actual chair, but the materials used on it. Whenever you move about or rub your clothing on it, that might be enough to build-up static on your body,

If the chair has to stay, you can alleviate any static build-up by touching anything metal (ie. PC case, metal frame of your desk, etc.) while standing up. Alternatively, you can let the ball of your heel touch the floor for a second to dissipate the build-up. Finally, you can increase the humidity in the room.

I have tried that. Holding the top of the PC case and slowly getting up, but as soon as my butt leaves the chair there is a string of static pops you can hear through the speakers and my monitor flicks off for a second.

I think I am going to get a static matt for the PC to sit on and a static mat to go on the carpet protector my chair sits on, but I just don't know what to connect the earths to? I'm surrounded by wood, plaster and carpet

I have tried that. Holding the top of the PC case and slowly getting up, but as soon as my butt leaves the chair there is a string of static pops you can hear through the speakers and my monitor flicks off for a second.

I think I am going to get a static matt for the PC to sit on and a static mat to go on the carpet protector my chair sits on, but I just don't know what to connect the earths to? I'm surrounded by wood, plaster and carpet
I have a secret lab omega, the fo-leather one on top of a plastic chair mat. Your static issue seems pretty strange, you playin' with balloons?
People mentioning dryness, are you in a dry area?
You have hardwood... Is there like, millions of wires in the walls??
WHAT A CONUNDRUM I SAY