Question Can a GPU work with 5 pins instead of 6?

Gamealot_1

Honorable
Jul 14, 2017
Hello,
I've been trying to fix my old PC and nothing worked.
The GPU is the Nvidia GTX 660 with a 6 pin PSU connector.
A PC shop said the GPU chip is faulty.

Basically, the PC works fine but when you put the GPU under big loads, it reboots the whole PC after a few minutes.
I gave up trying to fix it after buying a new PSU.
Recently I've seen that one of the cables coming into the 6pin power connector for the GPU actually isn't connected to anything besides the GPU itself. (One yellow cable, other 2 yellow and 3 black ones are fine)
So basically only 5 (out if 6) pins are connected from the PSU to the GPU.
Could that be the reason why the GPU was faulty? Could the GPU even run with only 5 pins?
Or maybe that one wire just came loose after sitting in a box for 2 years? Or maybe that one wire was the culprit all along?

Hello,
I've been trying to fix my old PC and nothing worked.
The GPU is the Nvidia GTX 660 with a 6 pin PSU connector.
A PC shop said the GPU chip is faulty.

Basically, the PC works fine but when you put the GPU under big loads, it reboots the whole PC after a few minutes.
I gave up trying to fix it after buying a new PSU.
Recently I've seen that one of the cables coming into the 6pin power connector for the GPU actually isn't connected to anything besides the GPU itself. (One yellow cable, other 2 yellow and 3 black ones are fine)
So basically only 5 (out if 6) pins are connected from the PSU to the GPU.
Could that be the reason why the GPU was faulty? Could the GPU even run with only 5 pins?
Or maybe that one wire just came loose after sitting in a box for 2 years? Or maybe that one wire was the culprit all along?
5pins are fine, most wattage runs through ground wires anyway

what PSU you have brand/model and aprox how old it is?

You are using the same cable for two different power supplies? That is a recipe for disaster. Don't EVER do that unless you know for CERTAIN that both power supplies have the same pinout at the PSU modular board. Assuming this IS a modular power supply and that I've read you right in saying that you used the same cable for them both.

If it's true, you are extremely luck, hopefully, that you didn't at least damage something and more likely start a fire or at least let some magic smoke out.

Reactions: helper800