Question Can a graphics card affect the hz of a high hz gaming monitor (144hz, etc.)?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

MrEpix

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2014
I recently got a new gaming monitor in which the hz would drop to levels of around ~70 at times while playing games. The monitor has G-Sync built in (not the compatible version) and my graphics card can be seen here.

From searching online, it seems that everyone points to the idea that the refresh rate is not affected by the graphics card. Example1; Example2; Example3. Monitors are not my expertise, but it seems as just stated hz is a property of the monitor alone, not the graphics card itself.

What really starts to confuse me however is how the refresh rate only dips only when I am launching/playing a game. If this is solely an issue of the monitor itself, how come it cares whether a game is running or not? From contacting Acer support (manufacture of my monitor), they have advised me that the graphics card also has its fair share in it's ability to affect the overall hz displayed.

My graphics card on the main game I was using to test being Minecraft, can hit upwards of 450 fps on normal settings while this hz issue still persists; so it is most certainly not an issue of lack of frames to hz. Here is a clear example of the refresh rate hitting horrendous levels just during the launch of the game, and here is a slight example of in game (frame rate was capped in this example).

My concern has become that it may be the graphics card is just not working correctly and limiting the overall hz the monitor can display, if it has any part in hz at all. This is a current issue as I am sure you are all aware, high end graphics cards seem to be a complete rarity during these times. I am hoping I can find an answer on whether or not this could be the fault of the graphics card so I know how to move forward with this issue. The rest of my specs if necessary can be seen here.

As a preface, the drivers were reinstalled and updated through Nvidia's GeForce Experience and the hz was set correctly through the graphical settings, with G-Sync enabled. I also tried it with a high quality 1.4 DisplayPort cable and ruled out the possibility of the stock one causing any type of problem.

I am really hoping someone can assist me here as I've been struggling to find answers and have gotten no information from any of the forums I have posted on. Thank you!

Last edited:

MrEpix

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2014
I did read the question.
Maybe you did not understand my answer.
I’m just trying to help...
If you want the monitor Hz to be higher in games, then you must buy a better GPU that can deliver 144 FPS
My graphics card on the main game I was using to test being Minecraft, can hit upwards of 450 fps on normal settings while this hz issue still persists; so it is most certainly not an issue of lack of frames to hz.

Did you? I appreciate help and understand if you don't want to read the entire thread but at least read the question entirely before providing an answer.

MrEpix

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2014
I'm about an arm's length from my 27", measured 60cm. Thought i'd ask because 27" is a good size for that distance, could probably sit a bit closer actually.

I'll consider it based off what I can find out regarding restocking times. It's absurd how the prices on some of these monitors can vary, as Amazon, BestBuy, and Gamestop have some pretty varying prices around what I am looking to get. Amazon and BestBuy in those two links are for the lesser one I am avoiding over the Gamestop one, but just look at the price between that GameStop one compared to the other two. I don't know how much I should even be paying, but $449 for 24" 180hz on Amazon compared to $499 24.5" 240hz from Gamestop is an extra $50 I am beyond willing to spend. I am not willing to convince myself to miss what could be $359 on BestBuy for the same exact monitor either.

MrEpix

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2014
Yeah it is a bad time buying anything PC related.

Well now it looks like things have changed a bit. I ordered the MSI Oculux NXG252R off CDW and being backordered I was awaiting for it to be shipped. Today, I decided to call MSI to see if they had any updates on when it might be back in stock as well as if they had any recommendations for alternatives and the rep informed me that G-Sync in terms of the chip itself was a scam. Apparently, MSI no longer makes G-Sync monitors and will no longer make them as he claimed the chip simply unlocked the ability for the drivers to handle the work, and the chip itself was not really doing anything in itself. He also claimed that Nvidia decided to just release the drivers to them so they could continue making monitors that are now G-Sync compatible and do the same thing, such as the MAG series.

Moving forward from that, I cancelled the backorder I had on CDW and ordered another one that luckily was much cheaper and part of the MAG series that meets the specifications I was looking for. This monitor is also on backorder, but the CDW rep said they expect it to be shipped later this month, at best the 16th. Hopefully when this arrives it will be the end of my monitor hunt. Just hoping for the best at this point!

Endre

Reputable
Well now it looks like things have changed a bit. I ordered the MSI Oculux NXG252R off CDW and being backordered I was awaiting for it to be shipped. Today, I decided to call MSI to see if they had any updates on when it might be back in stock as well as if they had any recommendations for alternatives and the rep informed me that G-Sync in terms of the chip itself was a scam. Apparently, MSI no longer makes G-Sync monitors and will no longer make them as he claimed the chip simply unlocked the ability for the drivers to handle the work, and the chip itself was not really doing anything in itself. He also claimed that Nvidia decided to just release the drivers to them so they could continue making monitors that are now G-Sync compatible and do the same thing, such as the MAG series.

Moving forward from that, I cancelled the backorder I had on CDW and ordered another one that luckily was much cheaper and part of the MAG series that meets the specifications I was looking for. This monitor is also on backorder, but the CDW rep said they expect it to be shipped later this month, at best the 16th. Hopefully when this arrives it will be the end of my monitor hunt. Just hoping for the best at this point!

The fact that it “was much cheaper”, many times is a bad sign!

I’ve, also, been on a hunt for a different type of product: a professional 4K monitor.
After buying 2 cheap ones from Dell, and a cheap one from BenQ, I finally sent them all back, one after another, and bought a ViewSonic VP2768-4K ColorPro, which is at a “fair” price and works like a charm! 😄

Just saying...