Can a GTX 1060 3GB run four 1920x1080 Displays?

dracosmetro7

Reputable
Sep 28, 2017
I'm planning in making a purchase of two monitors in the future, while I already have two screens active.

Initially I was intending to buy them for a triple monitor setup, as currently, one of the screens I have is a TV, which has a watt range twice as much as the 2 Monitors to be purchased combined according to specs. I'm thinking now, tho, wondering if I would be able two run them both, along with the two screens I already have, no problem, using a GTX 1060 3GB. Not all four simultaneously in gaming as if it was 4k, I still intend to use only one of those screens for gaming, while multitasking, using the other 3 screens for other things.

I'm wondering, though, if it'll be possible, or rather, if it'd really hamper my performance if, say, I have all four screens active, while playing a game in 1080p, or the performance of the card in general, mostly because if the 3GB memory it has.

My Card has 2 HDMI ports, 2 Display Ports, and 1 DVI-D Dual Link port.

Solution

You'll probably be limited by the 3Gb's of VRam, I'd plan on upgrading to something with 6-8gb's of VRam, but it will work as long as your not planning on gaming with high settings or on multiple monitors at the same time for some kind of surround setup.

jacobweaver800

Respectable
Dec 15, 2017

You'll probably be limited by the 3Gb's of VRam, I'd plan on upgrading to something with 6-8gb's of VRam, but it will work as long as your not planning on gaming with high settings or on multiple monitors at the same time for some kind of surround setup.

Solution

dracosmetro7

Reputable
Sep 28, 2017
Alright, Thank you both. I will eventually upgrade come with the next generation of GPU's then, If they arrive next year. Or I'd get a second one to take the strain of the first, I'm planning to get an entry level professional rendering GPU eventually anyway.

jacobweaver800

Respectable
Dec 15, 2017

Your going to have to get a different card as the 1060 doesn't have support for SLI, it doesn't have the SLI fingers either. If you want to do a multiple GPU setup rx580 crossfire is on par or better than a 1070 and nips at the heels of the 1080, and that gap would lessen if you overclock the 580's

dracosmetro7

Reputable
Sep 28, 2017
Do I even need sli to run an extra monitor? I intend to have the second GPU dedicated to it's own set of programs, on the side of running a single monitor, other programs will be running in my main GPU. That's the idea so far, anyway.

jacobweaver800

Respectable
Dec 15, 2017

Sounds like an interesting idea, however you don't need a second card for a second monitor, but if you want better performance in games SLI will help but the 1060 is not SLI compatible and will not work with Nv-link, you can add a second card for other workloads, but you will probably need to run some sort of virtual machine dedicated just for the second card and you'll need to split the CPU cores, it gets very complex I'd recommend selling the 1060 and getting something better, or get some cheap Chinese off brand GPU that have been popping up over Youtube recently.