[SOLVED] Can a high temperature gpu affect the motherboard?

Mar 30, 2020
Hello guys! I'm wondering if a high temperature gpu affect the motherboard. Or in the case that the gpu will be dead because of temperature the motherboard will suffer.

Solution
If I understand your reply correctly, all is well now and it appears likely there was no damage from the overheated GPU.

However, the PSU may not be enough wattage for your build or marginally close to what the system demands at peak use. Gaming.....

Remember to total up the power requirements for all system components. Especially if you are planning to upgrade to a more power hungry GPU.

You will need a higher wattage and recognized brand name PSU.

Ralston18

Titan
Electronics do not like high temperatures.

So if the GPU is overheating and continues to do so without some shutdown safeguards then the generated heat could cause adjoining components to heat up beyond their respective operating temperature range (high end) and that component could fail.

May not get to that point if the GPU fails first and temperature issue becomes moot.

What are the circumstances you allude to? What happened?

System hardware specs?

Mar 30, 2020
Electronics do not like high temperatures.

So if the GPU is overheating and continues to do so without some shutdown safeguards then the generated heat could cause adjoining components to heat up beyond their respective operating temperature range (high end) and that component could fail.

May not get to that point if the GPU fails first and temperature issue becomes moot.

What are the circumstances you allude to? What happened?

System hardware specs?
GTX 1080TI AORUS WATERFORCE (But I changed the cooling because I had some problems and now it has a RX 580 cooling system), Aorus z370 gaming 7, I7 8700k, 32 Gb Ram Corsair Venegance, Sirtec 550w Bronze (or Bronze +), corsair h80i V2. About the GPU, like in one year I m going to change it.

jitendrad

Notable
Dec 28, 2018
There is always a limit till which a GPU can bear the heat, the system and GPU shuts down itself after the crossing that threshold and overheating of any components can definitely damage a component or reduce its durability.

Ralston18

Titan
If I understand your reply correctly, all is well now and it appears likely there was no damage from the overheated GPU.

However, the PSU may not be enough wattage for your build or marginally close to what the system demands at peak use. Gaming.....

Remember to total up the power requirements for all system components. Especially if you are planning to upgrade to a more power hungry GPU.

Solution
Mar 30, 2020
I can't say everything it's OK, because I have "safe" temperatures but also pretty high (in games like Hitman 2 I get 90C or 91C but this is just for a second after the temperature goes back to 90C and in Cs:Go I get between 78-84C) so I'm wondering if those temps can affect the motherboard or other components or maybe in future the GPU will suffer because of those high temps and will damage other component (motherboard). BTW the system never shut down automatically.

Mar 30, 2020

My fault, the source is 750W

Mar 30, 2020
90+ is not what I'd consider a safe temperature. that's quite hot! Well into throttle territory.
Is not 90 +, I mean I reach 91 but for a second and after goes back to 90, like in one year I'm gonna change it anyway. I think it can resist for a year with non intensive gaming, I want to know if somehow the gpu will be dead one day the motherboard will suffer.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Sorry, actually I don't know what I did, if I did something, but I just wanted to know the answer.

If you click the trophy icon next to a post that selects it as the best answer. Only do that when you're done with a question, and NEVER do it to your own post.

As a side note I ran a GPU in the 86-91c range fora long time, it died in 6 months. I highly recommend against it.

Mar 30, 2020
If you click the trophy icon next to a post that selects it as the best answer. Only do that when you're done with a question, and NEVER do it to your own post.

As a side note I ran a GPU in the 86-91c range fora long time, it died in 6 months. I highly recommend against it.
Maybe a 1080ti is more powerful and BTW I do not do a intense gaming. But the other component (motherboard) will be affected? In your case what happened with your gpu and with your entire system? Did something else suffer?

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Maybe a 1080ti is more powerful and BTW I do not do a intense gaming. But the other component (motherboard) will be affected? In your case what happened with your gpu and with your entire system? Did something else suffer?

Intense gaming or not doesn't matter if you're running those temps it WILL wear the card down to failure sooner than later.

My GPU became completely unstable. That said no its unlikely to damage anything else.

Reactions: ODYdenis

TRENDING THREADS