Can a i7 7700k oc wiht Hyper master 212 evo?

Lan_man2273

Commendable
Dec 19, 2016
I want to know should I use the noctua nh-d15 (is it really worth the money) Or should i choose a hyper master 212 evo ? My Goal is to overclock up to 5ghz at safe volts and temps!

Solution
Not sure if you'll be able to reach 5Ghz, depending on your choice of cpu. But if its a choice between the two, get the d-15. Is it worth the money? That's subjective and relative to you really. If it must be an air cooler, the d-15 has proven itself one of the best on the market. However, there are others that rival it in quality and performance. Cryorig R1 Ultimate, Phanteks PH-TC14PE, Thermalright's Silver Arrow and Macho lines, so on and so forth. All listed above, and others I've neglected to name, are flagship air coolers, though the D-15 tops them last I knew, with the possible exception of the R1 Ultimate? Anyhow, yes, the d-15 is an excellent, well built cooler. The 212 evo shouldn't even be mentioned in the same...
Not sure if you'll be able to reach 5Ghz, depending on your choice of cpu. But if its a choice between the two, get the d-15. Is it worth the money? That's subjective and relative to you really. If it must be an air cooler, the d-15 has proven itself one of the best on the market. However, there are others that rival it in quality and performance. Cryorig R1 Ultimate, Phanteks PH-TC14PE, Thermalright's Silver Arrow and Macho lines, so on and so forth. All listed above, and others I've neglected to name, are flagship air coolers, though the D-15 tops them last I knew, with the possible exception of the R1 Ultimate? Anyhow, yes, the d-15 is an excellent, well built cooler. The 212 evo shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence with it imho.

Note: Assuming your case is big enough for whatever choice you go with, remember not to overdo it when you install. Screwing it on too tightly (absolutely no reason to ever do that, but just saying) may end up bending the newer intel chips in time.

Solution

Cheapskate01

Commendable
Feb 3, 2017
I bought a hyper 212 evo back when I was still using an i7 3770k, it worked great, and I didn't really want to buy a new cooler when I upgraded to the 7700k. The evo is a good cooler, but it's old. I have been running Aorus' auto overclock at 4.7 ghz on it for a little while, and it does fine thermally. A few tech guys online say I could reach 4.8 or 4.9 and it run a little hot, but it shouldn't be anything to worry about. He said, 4.8 on hyper 212 evo with 1 fan, and 5.0 with 2 fans.

I'll test it out some more later and send you what I find out.

outofthesky

Prominent
Feb 7, 2018
I have the Hyper 212 with the I7 7700k overclocked to 5ghz at 1.32v at 100% load it reaches 85c but what i did is I added another fan sucking on the other side of the cooler and reversed my exhaust fan closest to the cpu cooler so the air would come in through the back and hit the cooler first and the warm air would be exhausted through the top of my case or front if you have a fan there rather than have the air warmed up by gpu and components then go through your cpu cooler, i drop 20c when i did this and my gpu 1070ti oc at 2100hz runs at 65 underload. So yes the hyper will do.