Can a Inline mic be separated from headset?

kjaxxis123

Prominent
Aug 12, 2017
So I have had the same headset for about a year, it worked fine on my previous Surface Pro, but when I upgraded to a custom PC Build the inline mic stopped working. After some trouble shooting and a couple new headsets, I found that the headphone jack on my new PC only works for headphones and that the microphone has to be plugged into the microphone jack. So now I want to know if I can separate the mic from the headset without purchasing a adapter. If this doesn't work I will probably go ahead and purchase the adapter, I just wanted to know if this was possible first ;)

Any help is appreciated!

Solution
You will probably need an adapter.

Google TS, TRS, and TRRS (Tip, Sleeve, Ring).

The goal is to identify the connector on your headset and then match that connector to the adapter needed to split playback (earphones) and record (microphone).

Look at some images to start with then, as you learn, you can start matching up the specific connections you need between headset/microphone and PC/audio connections/card.

Ralston18

Titan
You will probably need an adapter.

Google TS, TRS, and TRRS (Tip, Sleeve, Ring).

The goal is to identify the connector on your headset and then match that connector to the adapter needed to split playback (earphones) and record (microphone).

Look at some images to start with then, as you learn, you can start matching up the specific connections you need between headset/microphone and PC/audio connections/card.

Solution