[SOLVED] Can a malware infect MOBO bios and RAM ?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Solution
Best thing to do right now to make sure with 100% that virus is gone is CLEAN INSTALL and with clean install I mean formatting your drive(s). Since you stated you're not a techie guy, but newbie, probably you weren't doing backups as well, so your best shot right now is to do clean install of Windows. If you don't know how to do, google it, or check this website, I'm pretty sure you can find a lot of guides how to do clean install of Windows. Once you install fresh Windows and install your everyday and necessary apps and games you usually use & know for sure they are 100% safe, then make a backup of your drive. You can do it with Macrum Reflect software. There are guides and tutorials how to do backups with it. Good luck.

Dean0919

Honorable
Oct 25, 2017
Best thing to do right now to make sure with 100% that virus is gone is CLEAN INSTALL and with clean install I mean formatting your drive(s). Since you stated you're not a techie guy, but newbie, probably you weren't doing backups as well, so your best shot right now is to do clean install of Windows. If you don't know how to do, google it, or check this website, I'm pretty sure you can find a lot of guides how to do clean install of Windows. Once you install fresh Windows and install your everyday and necessary apps and games you usually use & know for sure they are 100% safe, then make a backup of your drive. You can do it with Macrum Reflect software. There are guides and tutorials how to do backups with it. Good luck.

Solution

Techie-Joshua

Prominent
Jul 14, 2020
Yes malware can infect BIOS as well as RAM, because BIOS boots before the OS so it is possible to infect on fresh installs. And talking about RAM, it gets into the RAM only when you load a virus infected program into memory. But it will vanishes as soons as you Turn off your PC.