Question Can a MB graphics subsystem fail?

excitron

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2003
I have an older system I built some years back based on a Intel Core i7 4790K/Gigabyte Z97X-SLI-CF (SOCKET 0) and a 4-gig nVidia 960-based card, and I was having temporary intermittent blackouts on screen, and then the video would return. One day, the video dropped out for good. I plugged the monitor into the MB graphics port, rebooted and and was able to dump the nVidia drivers and install the Intel MB graphics drivers.

However I noticed I still get intermittent video dropouts with the MB graphics. I have two other machines hooked up to the same monitor (Acer K272HUL) and I don't have this issue with them with this monitor. I switched HDMI ports on the monitor to make sure it wasn't the monitor, but no difference.

Nomally I would surmise my nVidia card died, but being as I'm seeing the same phenomenon from the MB graphics, I suspect the MB as the culprit. I haven't pulled it out yet, but I don't think the nVidia has failed. I feel this has something to do the the MB graphics subsystem.

Does this sound reasonable? The cxomputer otherwise works perfectly normal. I've considered replacing the MB but I haven't been able to find a suitable new ATX board, only Micro ATX boards with essentially no slots.

Can anyone recommend a suitable ATX MB I can still buy, or do I have to take a chance on a used board for this system?

Thanks.

Lutfij

Titan
When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

Include the age of your PSU and how long the issue for intermittent video black outs have been happening. It's possible you might need a BIOS update(if pending) or that you're on an older version of the OS(if Windows 10) or your drivers might need reinstalling(for both the iGPU and the discrete).

excitron

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2003
Sorry, forgot to list full info
CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.00GHz Haswell 22nm Technology

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97X-SLI-CF (SOCKET 0)

Ram: 32.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 799MHz (9-9-9-24)

SSD/HDD:

894GB SanDisk SDSSDHII960G SCSI Disk Device (SSD)

3726GB Hitachi HGST HDN724040ALE640 SCSI Disk Device (SATA)

111GB OCZ-TRIO N100 SCSI Disk Device (SSD)

GPU: 4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 (ASUStek Computer Inc)

PSU: CORSAIR CX600M

Chassis: CORSAIR something or other

I ripped the card out and put it in the other slot and not surprisingly it came back to life. Still blacks out on boot tho. I disabled MB Intel video port. I don't really know what's up, but I suspect the MB, what do you think?

excitron

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2003
,,,I want to add that when I try to load new nVidia drivers, the installers tell me there's no CUDA cards. It's running off Windows loaded nVidia drivers. DaVinci Resolve won't star tbecause it says there are no CUDA cards. I don't get it.