Question Can a monitor or bad cable produce stuttering?

Alexander_7

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2015
So i have been trying to get rid of an anoying ever present stuttering in my system.

Tried almost every solution i've read on the matter of clocks dropping at random intervals, from disabling options in windows, to clean drivers/OS installations and even some light-registry editions as to make sure deep sleep is disable for my GPU. Nothing has worked so far and while the GPU performance is great for what it is, but the stuttering always apears, it might be minutes appart, but it always eventually happens.

In today's episode of my quest i decided to try and switch my displayport 1.4 cable for an HDMI and return my monitor (an LG ultrawide 75hz) to it's most defaults of settings, only thing active right now is just the fast response time. And no, the stuttering didn't go away, but it made me realize many a weird things, why im posting here in displays and not GPUs or System.

My monitor is: LG GSM76F9 75hz FreeSync, Ultrawide 2560x1080p.

With DisplayPort cable:

- Games and software was going over the 75hz refresh rate (+200 FPS in some games) and it was not tearing at all, which i found surprising as to my knowledge tearing should happen if FPS go above refresh rate.
- Adaptative Sync (FreeSync range 40-75hz) is a mess and aside the UFO test i have no idea how to even notice it working.
- Again performance is great, but stuttering is present.

With HDMI cable:

- At the begining i left everything in the monitor settings and Adrenaline Software as i had them for DP, that is, FreeSync enabled and refresh rate at 75hz.
- Soon i was having screenblack outs and eventually had many horrible screens full of pixel noise till the GPU crashed entirely and had to restart the system.
- Right now i have disabled all freesync from monitor, drivers and adaptative sync from windows, and set the 75hz down to 60hz which seems "stable", but the stuttering is still there... I have to yet play more with in this mode to be certain.

But this last part completely defeats the purpose of me even upgrading my GPU last year to begin with.

Im in absolute gaming pain.

MkywNsn.png