[SOLVED] Can a motherboard affect temperatures?

Jeff_120

Honorable
Dec 11, 2016
Hello
I have an MSI B450M Gaming and I tend to upgrade to Asus TUF B550 for my future Ryzen 5600x, I have somehow acceptable/high temps of 78c with my RTX 3070 Asus Dual fans, even though I changed my case with a better ventilated one, it only decreased the temperatures of 2c, so I wonder if a motherboard model can dissipate less heat than another?

Solution
Hello
I have an MSI B450M Gaming and I tend to upgrade to Asus TUF B550 for my future Ryzen 5600x, I have somehow acceptable/high temps of 78c with my RTX 3070 Asus Dual fans, even though I changed my case with a better ventilated one, it only decreased the temperatures of 2c, so I wonder if a motherboard model can dissipate less heat than another?
Motherboards have the VRM circuits that feed the CPU and VRM's are increasingly being designed using highly efficient DrMOS power stages vs. older discrete FET's. The B450 board you have uses discrete FET's and the TUF B550 you're considering uses power stages so it should run more efficiently, all else equal. Greater efficiency means less waste heat being dissipated through the...

tris00

Honorable
Jan 8, 2014
Generally It can't.
Your motherboard doesn't dissipate heat. In a computer that is. In a laptop this can be different but generally its not a thing.
Only the heat-pipes and cooler on your cpu and gpu dissipate heat.

However if for instance you have a small pc setup. Having a larger motherboard can make the air less able to flow in the case but I have never heard of this being a problem before.

Hello
Motherboards have the VRM circuits that feed the CPU and VRM's are increasingly being designed using highly efficient DrMOS power stages vs. older discrete FET's. The B450 board you have uses discrete FET's and the TUF B550 you're considering uses power stages so it should run more efficiently, all else equal. Greater efficiency means less waste heat being dissipated through the heatsinks on the power stages into the case.

But it shouldn't have a material effect on thermal performance of your GPU as it's heat output would more likely swamp that of the CPU VRM when gaming.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jeff_120
Solution