Can a PC get cooled sufficiently from two 120mm exhaust fans BENEATH the motherboard fvor a custom build?

Aug 22, 2018
I need a really small portable build for uni and was thinking of using an i5 4460T (the 35 watt CPU) and a GTX 1050Ti that doesn't have a 6 pin PSU connector so it draws power from the motherboard. For storage I would only use my 500gb Crucial SSD and I have 12gb of DDR3 ram though I might upgrade to 16gb. I would either use this build or a Ryzen 5 2400g build with 16gb of ram and my SSD. I have the Noctua low profile CPU cooler (the short one) and was thinking of getting an old Xbox 360 case (the empty metal casing) and installing some standoffs. Then I would mount the standoffs to the bottom of the case, screw the motherboard to the standoffs and screw the graphics card on its side against the wall.

It would be the low profile ITX version that is really small and has two 80mm fans. I would attach the GPU to the motherboard via a riser cable I have that is a shielded riser cable and it worked fine in a previous build. For power I would use the 160x pico psu off a Dell 330 watt laptop power supply. For the low powered T version of the i5 it should work perfectly fine. Though I am worried about that CPU being too low powered for gaming. Then I'd get a power button and USB hub and call it a day. I might make a nice side panel window in the top panel in place of the xbox logo and I was thinking of using a dremel to cut some holes in the bottom panel beneath the motherboard for two exhaust fans though I might have to use some slim 90mm fans or one 120mm slim fan depending on what fits.

I was wondering if the case would have sufficient airflow if it would exhaust out the bottom since the case would be installed via standoffs and I would make sure to add tall enough standoffs to give enough room. I would install the SSD via velcro or double sided tape since it is quite sturdy and lasts longer than hard drives due to being an ssd. Would this work? I might need to drill some holes in the top of the case for ventilation but I was thinking of doing that around the small side panel window I plan to make. If not I was planning to have one or two intake LED fans at the top panel instead of the window and get a nice fan cover for them to protect my fingers. Any thoughts on this build?

I already have most of the parts just need the CPU, motherboard, power supply and case. Was going to get a new CPU anyway but if any of you can recommend a better alternative then I would really appreciate it. I know most of you would say to get an ITX case or a gaming laptop but I will be travelling back and forth between home and university for holiday and half term and want something portable and powerful that can do my homework and gaming.

It also needs to fit in a backpack or small carry on luggage due to coach luggage allowance restrictions. I had tried to fit my gaming PC tower in my suitcase but it was too heavy unfortunately though it did fit snugly. For a monitor I plan to make a small 15 inch display from an old laptop I have kicking about. I have a mini keyboard without a number pad so it would all be really portable and convenient.

However, I was tempted to get the Ryzen 2400g instead of the gtx 1050ti because it is an all in one unit and would save space and heat inside the case and comes with a low wattage of only 65 watts plus extra for SSD, motherboard, and RAM. Would that be a better solution? I am worried that the 2400g cannot run modern games like AC: Odyssey, Battlefield 5, and Shadow of the Tomb Raider. I would only play at 1080p though I would prefer high settings 60fps though I know that's not possible on either graphics card but I could at least get medium settings 40-50fps on the 1050ti and a playable 30fps even if at 720p on the 2400g. But I am rambling now so I digress. Any thoughts on this crazy build?

I know some people have done it before on YouTube but they have either used an expensive small form factor power supply or done a sketchy ghetto job of taking a regular desktop power supply and removing the metal box which would freak me out and I would be paranoid all the time of it blowing up. I know some people don't trust Pico Power supplies but I think as long as it's below 150 watts it should be fine which is why I purposefully chose the i5 4460T due to its 35 watt limit and the gtx 1050ti. The 2400g should also work perfectly with plenty of head room.

Any thoughts and advice? Should I save up for the 2400g or get the i5 4460T/1050ti? Many thanks in advance!!

Lutfij

Titan
I've read through your post...and frankly outside of a couple of parts, you haven't stated the specs of your system.
List them like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

What concerns me is that you may be eyeing motherboards that accept the i5-4460T but are low profile enough to be housed in an AIO, with that I'm concerned if the board can deliver the necessary power via the PCIe slot. They usually have a note mentioning the use of low powered cards. Less than 75W for which you will need an extra cable that can deliver power additionally to the card's PCIe connector.

If you're looking at a portable system, you can source the smallest itx case off Newegg, like a Cougar QBX and build around it. Again, listing all your parts would help us in giving you a direction. Right now you seem to be divided between the APU and older gen i5 to work in favor of your endeavor. Perhaps if yo could also detail what sort of games and apps you're going to tax the system with.

On the last note, I'd ask you to see how much all of your efforts will come up to since you might find it more resource efficient building off, off-the-shelf parts. I wouldn't look at YouTube personalities at this point since they're sponsored and the loss in a component doesn't affect their wallet. For people like you, it affects the steps you take forward.

Aug 22, 2018

Very sorry for not stating my specs. They are:
i5 4460T
12gb DDR3 ram (1x4, 1x8)
Mini ITX LGA Motherboard (just the standard ITX variant not the extra low profile one)
Noctua NHL9i Cpu cooler
Crucial 525gb SSD
GTX 1050Ti low profile MSI 4gb
Mini-Box picoPSU-160-XT High Power 24 Pin Mini-ITX Power Supply
Original 330W Adapter Dell Alienware X51 i7-4770 i7-3770 + Cord
Thermaltake TT Gaming PCI-E x16 3.0 Black Extender Riser Cable 200mm AC-053-CN1OTN-C1 (similar to this one though I don't know exactly which one it was)
Possibly some low profile slim 120mm fans. If you need anything else let me know.

I have done a lot of research on various power supply websites and found that the 160 watt nano psu is capable of dealing between 160 watts to 200 watts if overclocked and is a passively cooled psu though as long as it's 150-160 watts that should suffice. It has all the needed plugs like the CPU, 24 pin plug, molex, sata cable, and even a 6 pin cable for the GPU. It's on Amazon and ebay. I would connect it to a Dell 330 watt AC laptop charger. Games i want to play are Elder Scrolls Online, AC: Odyssey, Middle-Earth Shadow of War, Far Cry 5, Shadow of the Tomb Raider, AC: Origins, stuff like that. A few multiplayer games like Battlefield 1 and Battlefield 5. Basically most modern games and some older ones. I don't mind lowering the settings and resolution and I game on a standard 60hz 1080p 23 inch monitor. Hope this helps. I know that an ITX case like the cougar one is better but it would be too heavy and if I eliminate the power supply and use the Xbox 360 case or something similar it would be so much easier to carry then I could just wack it in my back pack. Though I am paranoid about it overheating so perhaps a case like the cougar one would be better.