Can a PCI Express x16 supply a gtx 1050?

pedro_a_25

Prominent
Apr 9, 2017
I have an Asus H81M-A Motherboard, which has (i think) a PCI Express 1.0 x16 slot. I want to buy a Gtx 1050 graphics card but I don´t know if it will perform well with the motherboard. I´m pretty sure it is compatible, but my question is: is it worth buying or what else should I do?

I tried to find what is the revision of your PCIE x16 slot and since the site does not describe it as 3.0, i tend to believe it is 2.0. That i guess will work, most cards are backwards compatible for running at 2.0 while the extra bandwich provided from 3.0 is commonly not able to be utilized by most cards even today. But if it is 1.0, then there is an issue. Make sure, what is the exact revision of your PCIE interface by looking at your manual.

pedro_a_25

Prominent
Apr 9, 2017

That´s the problem, the manual doesn´t specify. It just says the motherboard supports one PCI Express x16 graphics card that complies with the PCI Express specifications, and then it explains the IRQ assignments (no idea what they are). What I also did was I checked out some other Asus motherboards and they sometimes say PCI 2.0, but they never say PCI 1.0, so I suppose it is a 1.0 slot.

The only way to know for sure is to contact them. Check these relative links as well. Opinions are different though:
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/id-1818131/asus-h81m-pcie-x16-gen2-gen3.html
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-2312638/asus-h81m-supports-pcie-x16-card.html

P.S.: Back then, this is why i chose the AsRock H61M-VG4. It has a PCIEx16 3.0 and trades off with USB 2.0 and Sata 2, as a budget mobo. Yours does the opposite actually

pedro_a_25

Prominent
Apr 9, 2017

Indeed, I think I will have to contact Asus. I´ve found an article in Spanish (I´m actually from Argentina), which says that it has a PCIe 3.0 slot, but if it does, then why didn´t they say it in the official Asus web? I think I will wait till Monday to ask customer service. Anyways, thank you for answering.

Np. Wouldn;t trust articles. Just contact them and you should be good