Can a phone get imei blocked if the phone is unlocked

somone playsmc

Reputable
Jan 15, 2015
Hello, I was going to buy a used phone, but I am weary that after I buy it, the phone will be IMEI blocked. But if the phone is unlocked and I can use it for any carrier, can it still be IMEI blocked? I will be using the phone on republic wireless.

Solution
Yes because the block doesn't happen on the phone. I believe the phone is added to a backlist which the service providers use to block those phones. My wife had her phone blocked by a mistake made by EE which took weeks to get resolved and her phone was unlocked.
Yes because the block doesn't happen on the phone. I believe the phone is added to a backlist which the service providers use to block those phones. My wife had her phone blocked by a mistake made by EE which took weeks to get resolved and her phone was unlocked.

Solution

t99

Honorable
Jul 16, 2014
that is only going to happen if your buying a stolen phone or a phone reported stolen. there might be a couple other weird scenarios to cause this, but if you are buying it during a legit sale then it won't happen. If your buying an unlocked phone then you typically will be good. This usually happens to phones that are on major carriers, they get stolen and then locked.