Can a Radeon HD 6450 drive 2 monitors?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlantier

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2012
Hello,

I have a stock Dell XPS 8300, about a year old. The video card is a Radeon 6450. The OS is Windows 7.

I need a basic dual-monitor setup. I'm not a gamer - about the hardest thing GPU wise is stream TV episodes from Netflix. Mostly what I want to do is be able to dedicate one monitor to a programming IDE and have a second hold an IM client, a web browser tab or three, the Pandora player, and an email window. Basic stuff.

I've just spent 25 minutes in Fry's pawing through racks of cables and adapters, and I can't find anything that will give me the combination of ports from the video card to the monitor. (That may suggest that this isn't the way to do it.)

Anyway, I think it boils down to a couple of questions -

1) Is a Radeon 6450 able to drive two monitors at once, or do I need a different video card?

2) Are the outputs of the 6450 independent of each other? If I'm already using the VGA connector, can I just plug a second monitor into the HDMI port and have a second display? Or is it more complicated than that?

I did finally find an adapter on Amazon for $2.09 (!) that I think will work. I'll try that unless the good people of Toms' Hardware forums tell me otherwise ...

Thanks for your help and comments!

jlantier

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2012
The outputs on the video card are, VGA, DVI-D, and HDMI.

The inputs to the monitors are,

Monitor #1 DVI-D, VGA

Monitor #2 VGA, X-Port

Oh, duh ... I think I just figured it out.

Plug monitor #1 into the video card's DVI-D connector

Plug monitor #2 into the VGA Connector

I'd never looked at monitor #1 that closely ...

Status
Not open for further replies.